Bringing Back a tradition (#7 pizza, add green pepper from the littledeli)

When I lived in Austin I travelled a lot for work.  There were some weeks I didn't even spend one day at the office.  It was a bit exhausting being in the car so much or flying all the time.  By the time Friday came along all I wanted to do was drink wine and veg out.  My friday tradition back then was to order a pizza from the Little Deli in my neighborhood.  I digress, but my neighborhood was so cute in Austin.  The Little Deli was located in a central neighborhood strip mall (not really a strip mall but I can't think of another way to describe it) that had a pharmacy, an independent grocery and other little necessities.  It was walking distance and so convenient, nestled in the neighborhood of post World War II homes that were largely still intact.  (Architecture is becoming my second love because of my job!)

A fun Friday night in 2012 with a #7 (add bell pepper), red wine and the Hunger games!



While I always love a Hawaiian pizza, the #7 at Little Deli was my jam during those days.  It is thin New York style pizza (my fave) with pepperoni, roasted garlic and cherub tomatoes.  I always added green pepper.  Back when I lived in the shared house, I always loved Amici for my neighborhood pizza.  Thin crust, sweet sauce, fancy ingredients and walking distance just like Little Deli! I have not found my go to pizza place in my new neighborhood, although now that I have this blog and am on a budget and it is not safe to walk at night alone, I usually make my own stuff more often than not.  I was home on a Saturday night and weirdly had all of the ingredients for the #7 on hand, except I did not have mozzarella cheese.  I had a ton of Meunster cheese from Costco leftover from Grilled Cheese Night though and I figured why not!  I can tell you why not, I need a pizza peel!

First I made the roasted garlic.  You will need a head of garlic, some olive oil and a piece of foil.

So simple and so delicious
Peel the garlic of outer paper.  It took me about 18 shots to get this photo, I am really proud of it.
Cut the bottom.  Also took 18 shots to get this picture...
Drizzle with olive oil and wrap it up
After 40 minutes in the oven you have this.  And a smelly house.
And then you make the pizza!

That is premade dough from Trader Joe's I had in my freezer.  I usually make my own,
but I was feeling lazy for once.
Chop the toppings.  I put a few slices of the Meunster together and placed it in the freezer for a bit for easy grating.
Delicious toppings on a stretched thin half of the dough.
Add just enough but not too much cheese
And here's where the fail happens...Not enough flour and no pizza peel.
Still looks pretty damned delicious after a few minutes in a screaming hot oven!
Doesn't it kind of resemble the shape of a swan boat?


Clearly I had a bit of trouble getting it on to the pan and getting it off the pan.  Luckily Santa Claus is bringing me a pizza peel for Christmas!

The #7 Pizza (add green pepper) from the Little Deli:

Pizza dough

Pizza sauce

half container grape tomatoes sliced in half
one small bell pepper chopped into 1/2 inch stips
pepperoni
cheese
one head roasted garlic, recipe follows.

Preheat oven to 425 and place pizza stone in oven.  Assemble the pizza and transfer to hot stone.  Cook for 10- 15 minutes or until crust browns and cheese bubbles.


Roasted Garlic:

Ingredients
1 or more heads of garlic
Olive oil

Heat the oven to 400°F: Set a rack in the middle position. Peel away all the loose, papery, outer layers around the head of garlic. Leave the head itself intact with all the cloves connected. Trim about 1/4 inch off the top of the head of garlic to expose the tops of the garlic cloves.  Drizzle 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil over the exposed surface of the garlic, letting the oil sink down into the cloves.  Wrap the garlic aluminum foil and roast in the oven for 40 minutes. The garlic is done when a center clove is completely soft when pierced with a paring knife. Exact roasting time will depend on the size of your garlic, the variety, and its age. Let the garlic cool slightly, and then serve. Press on the bottom of a clove to push it out of its paper.  Can also be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 3 months.
Happy Cooking!
Missy

No comments