German Night at My Shitty Kitchen! (sausage potato and cabbage spicystirfy)

I have told you before about the Homesick Texan blog.  I am not one, but I have really been wanting to get back to Austin lately.  I became the person I am today during my time there and I need a little revisit! The visit is not in the cards just yet due to scheduling conflicts, but why not visit that blog and make one of my tried and true faves that is on my Pinned it and Liked it Board?!

I made this 29 weeks ago according to my Instagram, inspired by ingredients in a Hollygrove Market Box.  That was at the time the ex and I were skating on super duper thin ice before the official break up.  The only time we would talk at all well is when I would make some dinner that he liked and let him talk the whole time we ate.  This one was a winner. As Oscar Wilde said, “After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”  That held true until we had our final supper at Shaya.  At least we went out with a bang!

This time I used red potatoes instead of baking potatoes.  I left out the caraway seed as I didn't have any and I left out the mustard for serving although I wanted it after the fact.  This is super easy, cheap and relatively healthy.  I made it more healthy by using lower fat and sodium  Pork Sausage from Richard's.  It only has 90 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving and still tastes amazing!  I used some jalapenos leftover from a Hollygrove box that I sliced and soaked in the jar from some previous store bough jalapenos. This is a tad spicy so if you aren't a spice person, leave out the cayenne and cut the seeds out the jalapenos.

Give it a try, you will not be disappointed!  Full recipe after the montage.

The simple cast of characters.  My famous jar of bacon grease is under the red pepper. 





Yes that is bacon grease.  It makes cabbage taste better! You can tell my pan still hasn't recovered from Fancy French Food
Add the potatoes and get them cooking.
Chop up everything else while the potatoes cook.
Throw everything but the cabbage into the pot
After you get some color on the sausage, add the cabbage.
And once the cabbage has color, you are ready to eat!
Sausage Potato and Cabbage spicy stirfy

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil or bacon grease
2 Russet potatoes or 10 new potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound of sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 jalapeños, seeds and stems removed, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups shredded cabbage
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Black pepper
Yellow or whole-grain mustard, for serving

Directions:
In a large deep skillet or wok, heat up the oil or bacon grease on medium-low heat and add the diced potatoes. Season the potatoes with the salt. Cover the skillet, and cook the potatoes for 5 minutes. After this time, take off the cover, stir the potatoes and make sure that none are sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cover the skillet again and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Take off the cover and add to the skillet the sausage, onion, and jalapeño, and cook uncovered stirring occasionally for 8-10 more minutes or until the potatoes and sausage are cooked. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.  Add the cabbage and  cayenne to the skillet, and cook while occasionally stirring for 5-7 more minutes or until the cabbage is soft and tender. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Serve warm with the mustard on the side.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments