Greens Eggs and Ham (Breakfast for dinner egg bake)

I always try to look for recipes based on things I already have.  I had eggs in the fridge that were about to go bad and I wanted to use them.  I had leftover ham, cheese and cream from Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup and made a big mess of greens the night before I made this with some chicken to take the night off from meal planning and blogging.  I went on a Pinterest search and found this recipe that was perfect and  so customizable to my needs!  

I remember when I lived in the dorm during my freshman mistake year at University of Southern Mississippi (I smartly left and went to LSU as soon as I could!) every other Thursday was breakfast for dinner. I always had it as it was consistently delicious (unlike other things in the cafeteria). Pancakes, waffles, grits, bacon, sausage, hash browns you name it!  Things look a lot healthier there now! It wasn't nearly as healthy or yummy as this recipe, maybe that is why I gained the freshman 15... 

This is a quick and easy way to feed one person or a whole family on the cheap!  It's a fancy version of breakfast for dinner. I know a lot of people do that often. When you do, what do you make? Full recipe after the montage.
The cast, ham, greens, eggs, cream, tomato, artichokes, parsley and cheese.  You can sub any other veggies or herbs that tickle your fancy!




Chop it all up.
Get the greens reheated.  Reminds self to take photography course.
Add tomatoes and artichokes
Add ham, making this not a vegetarian meal like the original pin
Add cheese and parsley
Crack eggs over and add a teaspoon of cream to each.
Place under the broiler until the eggs are set.
Serve it up!
The yolk is the best part!
Oeufs en Cotte {Skillet Baked Eggs}(Adapted from Babble)

2-3 vegetables of choice, chopped into bite size pieces
1/2 tablespoon fresh herbs – roughly chopped
1 tablespoon cheese – grated
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
2 fresh eggs
salt/pepper

Preheat your broiler to high. Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat and saute the vegetables. Sprinkle herbs and cheese on top.  Using your fingers, make two separate nests. Crack one egg into each nest. Add cream. Season with salt/pepper.  Bake for approximately 4-6 minutes or until eggs are at your desired doneness. CAREFULLY remove from oven as cast iron will be extremely hot.

Happy Cooking!

Missy


BTW: This appears in the Meal Plan Monday Link up.  It's the best!  Click on over to play!

No comments