The Ultimate Comfort Food (grown up grilled cheese and tomato soup)

As you saw yesterday, I made homemade bread.  It was delicious!  What better to make on National Sandwich Day with my homemade bread (which was November 3rd according to social media) than grilled cheese!?  Grilled cheese was one of my favorite things as a kid, all you needed was Bunny Bread, Kraft Singles, butter and a skillet!  It was a Saturday lunch staple, but we never really had tomato soup with it.  The first time I had it as a  combo, I was hooked!  As I have grown up, my palate has become more refined.  Also, I try to live by the 80/20 principle when eating, as in eat healthy 80 percent of the time, you can eat whatever you want 20 percent of the time.  These are the choices no one tells you that you'll have to make as an adult!  So when I do my 20, I want to do it right!  This is why I wanted to make my grilled cheese with homemade bread.  And that Rosemary Ham from Costco.  And with super melty, but actual cheese cheese. (Also from Costco).  Full recipe after the mouth watering montage!

The delicious cast of characters
I may as well stop taking pics of this dynamic duo and use the ones I already have!
This one too!  If only I could capture smell in a photo!
Add in your tomato puree, basil and chicken broth
How you doin'  
Looking good, just needs salt and pepper!
The crust is the best part.  I mean the butter crust, not the bread skin.
Got a little crowded in the pan!
The finished product.  It was as delicious as it looks.  I really wish every day was cheat day!
Grown Up Grilled Cheese: (this is per sandwich, as in I am giving you the recipe for one sandwich)

Two pieces of good, thick bread
Two slices of Muenster cheese
two slices of rosemary ham (or regular)
dijon mustard (optional addition I did not use)
butter

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.  Butter both sides of the bread and then place one slice of cheese, then the ham The mustard would go on before the ham and cheese but after the butter. Place the sandwich in  skillet and smush down with a spatula.  Cook on that side, smushing occasionally for about 4 minutes.  Flip over and repeat until you have your desired crust.

Tomato Soup:
1/2 tbsp butter
half an onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
One 28 oz. can tomato puree
2 cups chicken broth
a bunch of basil, chopped
1/4 cup (or more if you want) heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Heat butter in a dutch oven over medium heat.  Saute the onions until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add your tomatoes, broth and basil and cook for 10 minutes.  Add in cream and salt and pepper and serve!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments