Vegan one pot wonder (zucchini and chickpea tagine)

I made some preserved lemons recently and was trying to find more ways to use them. I had some fancy spices in my pantry as well as a can of chickpeas that were intended to make a recipe I found in my Smitten Kitchen cookbook that my sweet friend Delaney in Texas gave me as a birthday present. That recipe never came to fruition but I will have to make it one day! I was trying to eat healthy as I have been cheating on my little to no carb lifestyle quite a bit. Why not go vegan! Enter this recipe for a veggie tagine. 

I doctored this a bit since I didn't have all the spices, feel free to follow the original or substitute your own choice of spices, and if you do please let me know how it turns out! The flavor of this is so good! You almost forget there is no meat! 

The cast.  That is a frozen tablespoon of tomato paste on the bottom left.  I told you I keep weird stuff in my freezer!
Saute carrots and onions.  I deviated from original recipe as usual.
Spice mix, smells so good!
Add garlic, zucchini, chickpeas and spices
Add water and tomato paste and simmer until tender and delicious!
Serve with parsley to freshen it up.  So meatless, so delicious!

Zucchini and chickpea tagine: (Adapted from Herbivoracious)

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 large carrots, cut into half moons
half an onion chopped
1 large zucchini, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chickpeas
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon fresh mint
1 teaspoon ras el hanout *
1/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (can substitute cayenne or chili flakes)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon minced preserved lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
flat-leaf parsley for garnish

Place the oil in your largest skillet or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute the onion and the carrots for a few minutes until onions are no longer translucent.  Add the zucchini and cook until it is tender. Add all of the remaining ingredients. Add 1/2 cup water and mix thoroughly. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.  Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
*I couldn't find ras el hanout, so I substituted:
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cayene
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments