I finally got a crock pot! (slow cooker chicken parmesan soup)


I told you previously that I lost my crockpot slow cooker (I majored in advertising and am a lawyer) in a freak accident during Hogs for the Cause prep.  It literally caught on fire.  I was cooking in my beautiful lucky little purple house as the current resident calls it.  It had a tiny but non shitty kitchen. I was making a ton of smoked red bean hummus for Hogs and dinner at the same time.  The slow cooker got too close to the flame of the gas stove and you can imagine how it went from there.  My friend Stephanie and I try to get together for lunch as much as we can.  We went one day recently and I was telling her how I needed to get a crock pot slow cooker for the blog.  Well as luck would have it, she had an extra to give to me.  I pinned this recipe for Chicken parmesan soup and it looked yummy so  I decided to make it for a week's' worth of lunch!  Full recipe after the short montage! Linking up with Meal Plan Monday, click on over and check it out!

Just left out the noodles and topping, fancy freshish mozzarella!
My version of the Trinity.  I have the print in the link hanging in my kitchen!
Throw everything in the slow cooker and set it and forget it!
Stir in the pasta when cooked
Parceled out for some lunch!
The finished product at lunch on Monday.  Got so many questions on what it was as usual!

This was delicious on multiple days even though I ended up having lunch out two of the days!

Chicken Parmesan Slow Cooker soup (borrowed and adapted from Foxes Love Lemons):
Ingredients:

5 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 large 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 pound (raw) boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breasts if you prefer)
3 cups chicken broth, plus additional if needed
1 small chopped onion
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
1 and 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used more as I like spicy)
4 ounces noodles of your choice* (see note)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
Shredded mozzarella for topping

*note: original recipe calls for uncooked penne.  I had cooked leftover angel hair from spaghetti and meatballs.  Below is the recipe for uncooked penne.  If you use leftover cooked, just put it in at the end of the cooking, just leaving in enough to reheat.

Directions:

In slow cooker, stir together garlic, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, chicken, broth, onion, 1/3 cup cheese, seasoning and red pepper flakes.  Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Cook on high 3-1/2 hours or on low 7 hours.  Using two forks coarsely shred the chicken if it hasn't fallen apart already. Stir in pasta. Cook on high 30 minutes longer or until pasta is cooked al dente. If soup looks too thin, stir in tomato paste until desired consistency is reached.   Top with shredded mozzarella and enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy



No comments