Chopped Brunch Challenge! (avocado toast with cheesy spinach, poached egg and balsamic tomato garnish)

We decided to be fancy ladies a few weeks ago on the second day of Voodoo Fest and have brunch. Since we spent an arm and a leg on Uber and overpriced beer the first day, my favorite vegetarian and Law Student, Adrienn, and I decided to make it on our own! (Little did we know the third day would be unexpectedly cancelled and we would save money!) She volunteered to pick up the cheap champagne and OJ and I would make the fancy meal out of my pantry.  I decided to make it chopped challenge style and only use what I had on hand since there was really no time to shop.

The fact that I was making it for a veg head made me immediately gravitate towards eggs.  I am actually a pretty good egg poacher so I decided to go that route.  I had some avocado and tomato leftover from a taco craving I had the Thursday before, some bread and gruyere from the French Onion chicken and the rest of the stuff was stuff I always have on hand, vinegar, spinach, balsamic vinegar, eggs and garlic salt. I unfortunately have no pics of the egg poaching but I promise it is not that hard. Seriously.  Behold, the fanciest Chopped Challenge yet!

I told you what was here already.  Not a bad ingredient in the bunch.  Looks like it will be amazing!



Chopped tomatoes are so pretty!
Add a tablespoon of balsamic and garlic salt and put it in the fridge to marinate.
Cut your bread and brush it with olive oil on both sides for a ride in the grill pan.  I forgot to take pics of that.  I blame the mimosas.
Wilt the spinach and then add some more because it wilted so much!
And then voila, you have brunch! Look at that poached egg, it looks like sour cream!  I used paper plates because we were voodooing.  I don't know where those could have come from!

This Chopped Challenge calls for a full recipe! 

Tomato relish:
One tomato chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste (or some Trader Joe's garlic salt grinder if you are so lucky to have it)

Mix the ingredients in a bowl and let marinate for about 10 minutes.

Avocado Toast:
Ciabatta Bread cut into pieces
Olive Oil
Salt and pepper
Avocado

Brush bread with olive oil and grill on a grill pan for about 4 minutes each side.  Smash some avocado on it and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Cheesy Spinach:
5 oz Spinach (a small clamshell worth)
3/4 cup grated cheese (I used gruyere)


Wilt spinach in a non stick skillet for 7 minutes.  Add cheese and melt


Poached Eggs:
As many eggs as you have people
vinegar
water

Heat water to a rapid boil in a heavy sauce pan.  Add in as many splashes of vinegar as eggs you have. Crack eggs into a ramekin one at a time. Swirl the water with a spoon to make whirlpool and pour in eggs one at a time.  Cook for 3 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon.

Plating:

Spoon Spinach, place avocado toast on top, place poached egg on top and add relish.  Serve with mimosa,  call it brunch!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments