The comments are where the good stuff is (Cuban pot roast leftovers)

I was googling what to do with leftover pot roast besides actual leftovers and making a po boy.  My search led me to an old favorite blog, Hillbilly Housewife.  They had a post right on point, Leftover Pot Roast.  I read through all the comments and stumbled on one from a reader named Stephanie describing a dish she makes.  She lives in Miami so it felt Cuban!  I decided to give it a whirl for my lunch purposes.  It does not disappoint.  If you aren't living the little to no carb lifestyle, some rice would be really good with this.  Here we go!
Leftover shredded pot roast, lime juice, black beans, Rotel and an onion.
Can you believe I am making something without garlic?!

Beans are drained, Rotel is not and they go in a saucepan to heat for 10 minutes.

Put your meat in a non stick skillet on kind of high heat (not all the way up)
and heat until it looks crispy

Take the meat out, add a swirl of oil and add the onions.  Cook until they start to look brown.  

Layer beans/Rotel, meat and onions and squeeze a good bit of lime juice all over it. Decide you want cheese and throw some of that on it before closing the top.
Another thing that sounded interesting was to make a Chicago style Italian beef sandwich.  I didn't make it because I have a ton of leftovers this week, but here's what I would do.

leftover shredded pot roast
can of beef broth
green pepper
pickled banana peppers or jalapeno peppers
rolls

Place the beef in broth and bring to a boil.  While that is happening, cut your bell pepper in half and toast on a cast iron skillet.  Throw your rolls in the oven to heat.  Layer meat and peppers on Roll and then top with broth.  Delish!

Cook once and eat three times!  What could be better!  I appreciate any comments on this blog and also love them on other blogs, you find out some cool things from other people!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments