Being a Quigley is a pretty awesome thing! (brunchiladas plus cute overload)

I come from a large and loud Irish Catholic family. My dad is one of 5, and they all went and had a mess of kids too. I love all my cousins and cherish my memories of growing up so close with them. They all (except for me) went on and had a mess of kids too and now all of them are growing up like us! It is the cutest thing when they all get together. My cousin Casey (who, if you remember, requested the breadcrumbs) came in town for a long weekend and we planned to have a boozy girls brunch. Plans changed as usual when you make them far in advance and we decided to hang out at home with our own food and booze so the kids could play. Since I am the family food blogger, I was to make the main dish.

Last time we got together for brunch I made a yummy quiche. I thought about doing that again but I wanted to try something new. I clicked over to my breakfast board on Pinterest and found this pin that I tagged for my chiorizo loving friend Becca. Why not be fancy and have Brunchiladas!

I went to my new and not better Rouses for all the ingredients. While I was looking for the chorizo and grossing out at how much fat was in it, I noticed one lone package of Patton's hot sausage. I immediately thought that would be a good substitute for the chorizo even though it was probably just as fattening. I love a local product and it was right up my alley. Also I did not like the chipotle enchilada sauce in the original recipe so I made my favorite traditional enchilada sauce from Gimme Some Oven. Full recipe after the montage.

This is going to be so good!!!!


First you make a roux...

Add the chili powder and spices

Whisk in your chicken stock. What a cool accidental pic, you can see my Simon in it!
Cook and reduce down for awhile.  Love that color!
I love storing things in mason jars!
Since I don't own a microwave, I wrapped my tortillas in foil and warmed them in the oven.
I crumbled the patties and browned the sausage.  I put in  a colander to drain.
I will spare you that pic!
Whisk up some eggs for scrambling
Cook until it starts to, well, look cooked.
Add in sausage, some black beans and cheese.
Looking good!
Ladle a bit of sauce at the bottom like a good enchilada maker/
Yay, an assembly line!
Parcel it out and roll them up.
I ran out of room so I had to break out another casserole dish!
Sauce those enchiladas!
Add some cheese on top and bake
In the meantime, I think these enchiladas also need an avocado relish, right?
Clearly we have moved locations here.  This is my cousin Ashley's beautiful home.
And some mini quiches from her well stocked freezer.
My sister brought some larger than life muffins from Costco.  I hear they were delicious.
My other sister picked up some donut holes.  I can confirm they were delicious.
We were so fancy we juiced our own satsumas for mimosas!  And this is where my fancy camera ran out of batteries.
Take those Brunchiladas out of the oven and smell the good smells!
Serve with some relish on top!
And enjoy with some of the cutest, sweetest kids around! 
I wish I could have gotten them all in the pic!
These Brunchiladas were quite the crowd pleaser!  My extremely healthy eating aunt had two servings and even Mimi liked it with no criticism. She used the word scrumptious!  I am sure they will be great with any kind of sausage or ground meat, try out your take on it and let me know!

Enchilada Sauce (I doubled this):

2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
2 Tbsp. all-purpose or gluten-free flour
4 Tbsp. chili powder (*not cayenne)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. oregano
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock

Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir together over the heat for one minute. Stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder through oregano). Then gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until thick.

Use immediately or refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.

Enchiladas (I also doubled this) :
5 tortillas
4 eggs
1 T milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup sausage, crumbled and cooked
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, divided
1/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed

Avocado Relish
1/4 cup queso fresco (or more to taste)
1 avocado, chopped
cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
2 tbsp chopped cilantro

Make your enchilada sauce and set aside. Preheat your oven to 350F. Warm the tortillas in the microwave for a minute for easy rolling (or wrap in foil and heat for a few minutes in the oven). Cook the sausage, drain fat and set aside. Beat the eggs and milk, with salt and pepper until frothy. Cook and scramble eggs in a small greased pan until cooked most the way. Add half of the monterey jack, beans, chorizo and a tablespoon of the enchilada sauce. Finish cooking eggs. Spread a quarter cup of enchilada sauce in a small casserole dish. Divide egg mixture between each tortilla. Roll and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Cover with remaining enchilada sauce and monterey jack cheese. Bake for 12 minutes or until bubbling.  Mix the ingredients for the avocado relish and top enchiladas with it.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments