When you don't read the book club book, you have to make up for it(salted caramel sour cream cake)

I am in not one but two book clubs. I was always an avid reader my whole life, but two big books a month that I don't get to choose is kind of hard to keep up with nowadays. Especially since I work full time, have a blog, go to Pure Barre 6 days a week and have a very active social life. This month the book clubs had two books that felt similar, All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I decided to stick with the first book and slog through that one and skip Life after Life. It was kind of boring in the first few chapters to me. 

Since I was going to bring nothing to the table in the form of discussion, I decided to bring dessert. I wanted something gooey and good. I perused my Dessert Board on Pinterest and saw this one that I must have pinned while I was suffering from PMS! Good gravy that sounded delicious! I am not usually one to use cake mix and canned icing, but a girl has got to do what a girl has to do. This was so delicious, and then I refrigerated it and brought it to work the next day. It was even better! You have to make this sometime, it is easy and yummy. I wish I would have gotten a pic of an individual piece to share how good it looked!  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal plan Monday!


What is not to love in this crowd?
Mix the cake mix according to instructions
But change the game up and add a half cup of sour cream.
Looks a bit fluffier...like I hope to not look like after eating this!
Place in a parchment lined pan.  I have had parchment paper on my list for weeks, clearly I keep forgetting it.  In my defense, my close local market didn't have it when I picked up the cake mix. 
Bake according to directions and let cool on a rack for a bit.
I decided to fancy it up and make it with cream cheese icing.  Mix it with some caramel sauce to make it even more decadent.
Right?!?!
Poke some holes in your cake and spread some caramel sauce over it.
Let it soak in for a few minutes (This is when you are supposed to mix the icing, I did dishes)
Ice that cake!
Sprinkle caramel sauce over it and sprinkle with sea salt.  Like this could get anymore delicious!
Salted Caramel Sour Cream Cake (Borrowed from Oh Bite it)

Ingredients:
1 box of White Cake Mix (plus the ingredients it requires)
1-12 oz. jar of Caramel Sauce/Topping
1-16oz. container of Cream Cheese Icing
1/2 cup of Sour Cream
Salt for sprinkling

Mix the batter according to the box instructions, and then stir in the sour cream. In a parchment lined pan, pour the batter and bake the cake according to the box directions. Let it cool and gently poke some holes in it with a fork. Pour a little less than half the jar of caramel sauce over the poked cake. Spread it around and let it sit for 5 minutes. While it’s soaking up that goodness, grab a medium bowl and mix almost the rest of the caramel sauce with the icing. Reserve the rest of the caramel sauce for drizzling. Ice the cake well, and make sure you lick the spreader :) Drizzle with reserved caramel sauce and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve and beam!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments