When you are sick there is only one cure. (homemade chicken noodle soup)

I have really bad allergies.  It is the mark of being a Quigley.  I get sick in the fall and spring every year without fail.  I get a sinus infection and alienate everyone with my post nasal drip and all it's fun side effects.  When I lived in Austin it was worse because they had new and exciting things to be allergic to, especially cedar.  The two cedar seasons I spent there were hellish.  One time I could not breathe out of my nose or mouth fully for three days.  I needed to sleep that final night so I took Benadryl with some wine and I told my best friend to call an ambulance to my house if she didn't hear from me by 9 am the next morning.  Luckily, as you can tell, I survived and am living to tell about it.

I had the initial sore throat recently and knew what was heading my way.  I started on the D, the C and the H2O.  I also decided I needed some chicken noodle soup.  The canned stuff just wouldn't cut it of course!  I was out of chicken stock so it was time to make some anyway for a recipe I had planned for the week.  Usually I would get a whole chicken and boil that to make stock and have the chicken, but I cheated and got a rotisserie chicken so the broth would have more flavor.  I pulled all the meat off and then made broth like I usually do.  I actually had everything else on hand, it ended up being perfect.  My only issue with it was that it wasn't salty enough so I had to salt each serving. Make sure you check your seasoning before serving, especially if you make your own stock.  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!

Like this isn't going to be good.  My mom always just served us Campbell's.  Those chicken chunks always freaked me out.  This is going to be so much better!


Mis en place votre Mirepoix.  That's pretty much all the French I know. Oh and je m'appelle Missy.
Go ahead and saute all that in some butter.  I won't tell
As usual I have to bring garlic to the party!
Add some chicken broth
And then add some water to make more liquid as you ran out of chicken broth.
Add chicken and noodles and cook until noodles are done, about 7-10 minutes.
Add some freshness
Make sure you salt and pepper well, especially if you are using homemade broth

And just look at that.  This stuff can cure anything short of cancer!


Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

One rotisserie chicken

Lots of water

Veggie scraps for stock
(or you can boil a whole chicken or use canned broth (you need 6 cups) and chicken breast meat, your choice)
1 tbsp. butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 medium carrots cut into half moons
3 stalks celery chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
handful of fresh parsley, chopped
one pack egg noodles
Salt and pepper to taste 

Make your chicken stock like I did here.  Or boil the whole chicken for a few hours.  Melt butter in a soup pot.  Saute carrots, onion and celery until onions are translucent, about 7 -10 minutes.  Add 6 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups of water.  Cook for 15 minutes until carrots seem tender.  Add in chicken and egg noodles and cook for another 10 minutes.  Add in fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper.  Serve and smile.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments