My favorite flavor craving strikes again! (buffalo chicken with avocado apple queso fresco radish relish)

Not like I have to remind you, but I LOVE buffalo sauce and things flavored by it.  I am just a few steps away from creating a buffalo Pinterest board and I follow a board called Buffalo Chicken.  I was playing on my Pinterest recently and noticed that I had not been to one of my favorite food blogs in awhile, Elly Says Opa!  She has a weekly rotating menu she keeps on the right hand side of her blog (I need to learn how to do that!) and I noticed one day she was planning to have Breaded Buffalo Chicken with Avocado-Goat Cheese-Jicama Relish.  I mean.  Holy heck that sounded amazing!   And I had some leftover queso fresco from the last time I made an Avocado Relish that would be a perfect sub for the goat cheese.  

The radishes and cilantro did double duty making spring rolls for Sweet Swine O Mine practice.  The cherry tomatoes were leftover from my chopped chef salad I made with my Thanksgiving leftovers. I searched a few stores fruitlessly for jicama (I should have gone to Whole Foods but I always overbuy there) so I subbed a Granny Smith apple for it.  Perfect swap!  I also used all my breadcrumbs making boudin balls and haven't replenished them so I left them out.  It was totally delicious without them and it saved me a few carbs and calories!

This meal was so delicious,  I had one perfect bite of the chicken left when I hit my fullness limit and saved it so I could have it again the next day!  Also the leftover relish was delicious for a snack with pita chips!  Please try this recipe, either Elly's original or my tweaked version.  You will not regret it! And let me know how you like it! Linking up with Meal Plan Monday!

This is going to be so easy and delicious I can just feel it!



Nothing brings out the flavor of tomatoes quite like roasting them in the oven!  I just tossed them with some olive oil and Trader Joe's garlic salt grinder.
You know I love and assembly line!
Dip one.  That sauce is magic I tell you!
Dip two, on the blurry setting.  I shook it off as much as I could.  Great, now T Swift is in my head.
Stick it in a hot oiled pan and wait for the magic crusting process to occur.
Chop it all up.  I am going to jinx myself here but I haven't injured myself in a while chopping.  
Holy cow does that crust look good or what?  The key is properly heated and the right amount of time on each side.
Speaking of looking good!  And there will be a lot leftover to try something else with it!
Talk about a pretty plate!
Buffalo Chicken with Avocado Relish (Adapted from Elly Says Opa!)

4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, pounded to flatten to even thickness*
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup buffalo/wing sauce
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 large avocado, diced
1 cup diced granny smith apple
3 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
6 smallish radishes, thinly sliced and halved
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime

In a shallow bowl, add the buffalo sauce. In a shallow bowl, mix the flour with salt and pepper to taste.   Dip chicken one by one into the buffalo sauce until well-coated. Dredge the chicken into the flour, shaking off the excess. Add 1 Tbsp. canola oil to a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, place 2 of the chicken breasts in the oil. Cook until chicken is done, flipping once, approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken, add the remaining oil, and cook the second batch of chicken.  Meanwhile, make the relish. Combine the avocado, apple, cheese, radishes, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste; add lime juice and lightly mix to combine. Serve the relish on top of the buffalo chicken.

*I buy my chicken in bulk at Costco and then freeze them individually in freezer paper and this pretty much flattens them out for me.  You can totally use breasts too, that is what original recipe calls for.

Roasted Cherub tomatoes:

One container cherub tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
seasoning of your choice (I used Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic Salt Shaker)

Preheat oven to 425.  Combine tomatoes oil and seasoning and spread on a baking sheet lined with foil.  Roast for 10-15 minutes or until tomatoes start to burst.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

I linked this up for Meal Planning Monday with Southern Plate and Southern Bite.  Go visit them and see what else you find!

No comments