I bet you you can't tell there's fake noodles in here (Low carb chicken tetratrizzini)

Chicken Tetrazini is something I have probably had only once or twice in the Delta Gamma House. My momma was not the casserole maker, we were more of a chicken leg, rice a roni and corn family. I was looking for a yummy use of the shirataki noodles in my freezer and wanted to try something different with them.  Then I stumbled upon this pin on Pinterest .

The original recipe used the fettuccine style noodles but my angel hair ones worked just fine. I cut this down to feed me four times and I wish I had made more!  She also loves wine in the original recipe but I did not have any on hand that wasn't red, so I left it out, it was fine.  I used a rotisserie chicken and that turned out great as well, and saves you some time!

This is really delicious, healthy and is so good leftover.  you will not be disappointed.  I love that it was so easy to make a creamy sauce without butter and flour to save some carbs and calories (cue Mean Girls..."Is butter a carb?")  Your family and or taste buds will savor this and maybe even dance around!  Full recipe to follow.

Just look at that low carb gooey goodness!  
I felt like a cheater with the rotisierie chicken.  Sometimes we all need a break!
Chop up those beauties. Chop 'em real good.
The onions always need a ride in the skillet to make 'em sweat.
I am so glad my Rouses had kale.  Every now and then they try to be like the New Orleans this lady imagines and are out of it.
Make that kale sweat too.  It's so healthy it needs to let loose.
Add the chicken and noodles and it's a party!
Bring the milk to a boil and add water.  A wino like me leaving out the wine felt weird.
Add the cheese and make it creamy and delicious.  
Pour it all in a casserole dish and mix it all together.
I mean of course it needed more cheese.
Bake it up and let it broil if you feel so inclined.  So delicious!
Low Carb Chicken Tetrazzini (adapted from Healthy Nibbles and Bits)

Ingredients
8 oz. cooked chicken breasts, shredded (I used the meat of a rotisserie chicken)
two 8 oz. packages tofu shirataki noodles
1 1/2 TBS olive oil
1 small  onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red pepper, diced
3 cups chopped kale (about 3 large handfuls)
1/2 cup (240ml) half and half
3/4 cup (120ml) water
3 TBS flour (any kind will do)
1 1/3 cups cheese (I used part-skim mozzarella and provolone)
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Grease a 2-quart baking dish with oil or cooking spray. Set aside.  Drain the liquid in the tofu shirataki packages and rinse noodles under cool water. Drain and try your best to squeeze out excess water. Chop the noodles on a chopping board into pieces  In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add onions and cook them for about 2 minutes, or until the onions start to turn translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add in red peppers, kale, and a generous pinch of salt. Sauté until the kale begins to wilt. Turn off the heat, and stir in the chicken and noodles. Set aside.  In a medium saucepan, heat the half and half over medium heat. Stir occasionally to keep it from burning.  When it starts to boil, whisk in the flour until smooth. Reduce heat to a medium-low. The mixture should start to thicken. Add in water and whisk.  Let mixture simmer and stir constantly. You want it to reach the consistency of a thick chowder. Turn off the heat. Stir in 1 cup of cheese, thyme, a generous pinch of salt, and pepper. The creamy sauce should be quite thick by now. Pour the creamy mixture into the sauté pan with the vegetables, chicken, and shirataki. Stir until well incorporated. Pour everything into prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 1/3 cup of cheese.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the casserole starts to brown, and the cheese is bubbling. You can also stick the casserole in the broiler for 3 to 4 minutes to get extra browning on the top.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments