Recapping the weekend visiting my old stomping grounds of Austin

Hi friends! I know it is Tuesday, but I was driving back from Austin all day yesterday so let's recap on a Tuesday!  I used to live in Austin and I moved back to New Orleans three years ago. One of my best friends, Aimee, still lives there and I had not been back in over 2 years, it was time!

It felt like I just popped back into living there.  It was so nice to be back; but I also felt the whole time that I am right where I belong back here in New Orleans.  I just wish we had clean streets, less roaches, a lower crime rate and better Mexican food like they do!  Oh well, you can't have it all. Here we go!

This is always my favorite drive.  That well designed Capital is always visible!
I got in Friday evening and went out to dinner with Aimee's husband at Trudy's.  She was in Wyoming for work and we picked her up after.  I really regret not getting a few Mexican Martini's.  But she and I made up for it with wine after.
I got carnitas enchiladas, yum!
He got the stuffed avocado with tinga on top, double yum!
We went to the hispanic grocery store after and I did some recon for my Hogs for the Cause cooking.  Just look at those Chicharones!
We got some tres leches cake, so yummy!
Ginger and her old pal Winnie got along!
Saturday morning we walked Town/Lady Bird Lake.  It was just beautiful.
So nice to see so much nature so close to the bustling downtown.
We picked up some Kouign Amanns (pronounced Queen Amans) for our friend who was having a birthday.  I am not sure what all the post-its mean, I've been gone for awhile!
We drove out to Bastrop for the birthday party on our friends' property.  It was gorgeous.  And hot and mosquito filled.  And did I mention hot?!
It was a beer tasting!  Such a cute theme!
And there was a taco truck!  
Fried avocado on the left, smoked chicken on the right.  Holy cow!
The kids were excited for the cupcakes!
It was so picture perfect with the lights.  If you look hard you can see lightning bugs!
Sunday morning we braved the crowd at Snooze.  We went previously in Denver and loved it. It is number one and two on the Yelp list for brunch in Austin.  Our wait was 70-90 minutes.
The waiting area was so cute.  This was a weird strip mall when I lived here!

We each had a different mimosa. 
This was a half caprese and half bella bella benedict. So good!
And this is the egg white and goat cheese frittata. 
They had an excellent assortment of hot sauces

We look pretty good for having to sit outside and eat brunch in 100 degree weather!
Afterwards we went to Taverna to have $2 (!?!) frozen bellinis to catch up and cool off.
All smiles despite the heat and the Saints loss!
I love this sign.  It's catchy.
Afterwards we went to my holy land, the Central Market.  CM is my happy place.  We purchased some stuff for a yummy meal. Coming soon to a blog near you.
I will leave you with candy. Who doesn't like candy?  Which reminds me I left my dark chocolate malted milk balls there.  Le sigh.
It was a great trip.  I did not do too many touristy things but that was because I am a former local who was visiting with locals.  Have you been to Austin?  It is a great place to visit!  Back to the food tomorrow.  

Happy Cooking!

Missy


No comments