Some healthy workout fuel (Brussels Sprout, Kale, and Grapefruit Salad)

As you can tell, if you have been around here for awhile, I love Pure Barre.  I have been doing it for almost two years and it has changed my life.  It makes me look better (20 inches and two sizes down!) and feel even better.  The corporate headquarters sends out a monthly email with different tips and tricks, and sometimes there are even healthy recipes included, such as this one.

You can't go wrong with kale and Brussels sprouts in my book.  And adding avocado and grapefruit to the party just makes it that much merrier.  Apple cider vinegar is so good for you, and who could resist a mustardy vinaigrette?

I added chicken to this because I wanted the protein, but I ate it one day without it and it was just fine. The flavor of this vinaigrette is so wonderful, perfect combination of sweet and tangy.  The health benefits are immense and it is very easy to make!  Try this out sometime, you will not regret it! And thanks Pure Barre!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

How healthy and fun does it look?!
I hate when there is no natural light in my kitchen, the photos are so different!
Chop your shallots nice and small
Mix it well and make a delicious tangy dressing.
Chop up that nutritious and no longer trendy kale. 
I would normally bring out the mandolin here but I had just gotten a manicure and I wanted to keep it nice as I am prone to losing parts of fingers when I use it.
As I said, the chicken is optional.  I just could not resist.
Mix up the kale and Brussels sprouts
Chop up some grapefruit
Toss it all together and voila!

Brussels Sprout, Kale, and Grapefruit Salad (Courtesy of Pure Barre's blog!)

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon whole-grain mustard
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon plus one teaspoon maple syrup
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 ounces (about 3 cups) shredded Brussels sprouts
6 kale leaves, stemmed and shredded
1 grapefruit, sliced
1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1/3 cup salted sunflower seeds
1 chicken breast or boneless thigh, grilled and chopped (optional)

Whisk together the mustard, vinegar, salt, maple syrup, and olive oil in a small mixing bowl. In a large mixing bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts, kale, sunflower seeds, cherries, and grapefruit. Add dressing to larger bowl and toss to coat. Add chicken if you are using it. Enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments