I'm on a boat! (buffalo chicken zucchini boats)

I don't think I have to remind you about my buffalo chicken obsession.  It is rampant and never satiated.  I am always looking for new ways to do something with it.  My friend in the blogosphere, Jen, posted this recipe for buffalo chicken zucchini boats and I knew I had to make it. I have made some vegetarian zucchini boats before and I was excited to try a new combination!

I ended up making these on Halloween.  I moved in my house that day and was not planning on handing out candy and just hanging out in the back of my house where I can't hear the doorbell. The neighbors had other ideas for me and gave me candy to hand out.  So, I ended up making this quickly and eating it on the porch while I handed out candy.  I would not change this development for the world, I loved seeing all the kiddos in their costumes and their faces when they realized I had the "good candy."

This was really yummy.  I am biased as you know, but I really think this is a great dish. Zucchini is such a great vessel; it is so crunchy and has a mild flavor that will let your toppings shine.  I left the flour out and did not miss it.  It would have been a little easier to eat had I used that as a binding agent, but did not make that big of a difference.  I am excited to try new zucchini boats, do you have any that you have tried and recommend?  I am definitely thinking about doing a pizza version soon! Full recipe after the montage!

Foil is not the best background for presentation, but hey, I was busy!
The lovely cast.  Hey look, first post in my new kitchen!!

I had some trouble getting the zucchini out of the zucchini.  I used a melon baller finally.
I have a weird thing about wanting to cook my veggies.  You don't have to,  I am sure raw veggies would have been just as delicious!
I just cooked my chicken in a pan and browned on both sides.  Then I shred it up with two forks.

Mix all the delicious flavors together.  Cheddar, ranch and buffalo?  Have Mercy!
Spoon the topping on top your zucchini.  I added some green onions for flavor and garnish.
Looking good!
Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats (adapted from Going the Distance who got it from here)
2 large zucchini
1 lb cooked chicken, shredded (you can use rotisserie or just brown it in a pan)
salt and pepper, hint: not much
1 carrot, chopped
1 rib of celery, diced
3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese, divided
3 Tbsp buffalo sauce (I added more, but I have a condition)
3 tbsp ranch or blue cheese dressing
*Optional: green onions for garnish

Preheat your oven to 350F then line a baking sheet with foil and spray.  While the oven is heating up, cut your zucchini in half lengthwise, then using a melon baller or a spoon, scoop out the middle of each half.  Reserve about 1/2 cup of the scraped portion for the filling.  In a bowl, mix the chicken, carrot, celery, the 1/2 C of zucchini filling, 1/2 C cheddar cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch/blue cheese dressing and salt and pepper. Place the zucchini with the scraped side up, and fill each boat with the mixture. It's ok if these are heaping (this makes a lot). Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and optional green onion.  Bake for about 30 minutes and enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments