Even more ways to get more zucchini in your life (bean and cheese stuffed zucchini boats)

I used to always visit the Eat 80/20 blog back in my Texas days when I was learning to eat healthy in new ways that were just not boring old salads.  I love her principle of 80/20 and I live my life according to that.  I do little to no carb most of the time and then allow myself to cheat a little bit of the time, while keeping up regular exercise.  I have stuck to it and have kept off the 22 pounds I gained when I quit smoking (worth every pound!) that I lost for almost 3 years.

When I find something low carb and delicious I tend to put it on heavy rotation.  Which is why I am probably one of my new and not better Rouses' best zucchini customers. Zoodles, sauteed and any which way, I love them.   Eat 80/20 and zucchini combined when I stumbled across this recipe for Stuffed Zucchini Boats.  

Lindsay calls for grilling them in the original recipe but I did not want to drag out the grill for this.  I just popped them in the oven for 25 minutes and took the easy way out.  This is really delicious, healthy and feels like you are cheating.  However it is not the easiest thing to actually eat, and if you have kids that would eat this, I guarantee a mess.  But it is a nice vegetarian meal, or side dish for a grilled protein if you need more or have a man in your life that requires meat.  I made some changes as usual but feel free to click through and follow her original recipe.  Including her zucchini salsa topping!  That would have been delicious on top!  Full recipe after the montage.

I like spice so I did jalapenos instead of green chiles.  Man this was awhile ago, those green onions and cilantro are from this Hollygrove box!
Chop the onions and jalapeno.  Thank and curse your parents simultaneously for passing on the needing contacts gene.
I just can't get behind raw onions, hence why this is not a one pot meal.
I just needed to get the raw flavor out.  It's a normal thing, right?
Add your seasonings in and stir well.
Slice your zucchini in half
Scoop out the zucchini guts with a spoon
I wanted it to be more of a paste feeling like her recipe called for so I used my immersion blender.
Mission accomplished
Spoon on some beans
Top with cheese and green onions and throw in the oven.
Et voila!
Who I am I kidding, this needs a little something!
Bean and Cheese-Stuffed Grilled Zucchini Boats (Adapted from Eighty Twenty)

2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup can diced pickled jalapenos
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese, divided
chopped green onions 
sour cream and salsa for topping

Preheat oven to 375.  In a saucepan combine beans, jalapenos, onion (I precooked mine) seasonings and cilantro and heat over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, or until just warm. Stir in 2 oz of shredded cheese.  Spoon bean mixture into each zucchini "boat", then sprinkle with remaining cheese and green onions.  Place boats in preheated oven.  Cook for 20 minutes, or until zucchini is softened and bean and cheese mixture is bubbly. Top with salsa and sour cream and enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments