Coffee in ball form (No bake Healthy Chocolate Espresso Energy bites with turmeric)

It is breakfast week at My Shitty Kitchen in case you can't tell.  I have been trying everything to replace my formerly beloved green smoothies.  This is another recipe that I pinned to try.  These energy balls had a bunch of great ingredients that made me feel healthy, and I could skip that second cup of coffee with the espresso beans!  Sounded like a winner!

These are good, but are a serious mess and may offend people who have a texture issue, as in you don't like sticky gooey stuff.  But all in all they taste great and are so different! I bet they would be better if I had gotten a smaller grind on the chocolate covered espresso beans.  Or maybe if I subbed powdered espresso mixed with cocoa powder?  That's an idea! Also the original recipe called for ginger and I was out of it.  They were just fine without it.

What do you usually have for breakfast?  I am still searching for ideas.  I may be ready to grab my old vegan protein powder and start making smoothies again, nothing is coming my way that replaces them for convenience, nutrients and  full factor! Full recipe to follow the montage.

No bake energy filled breakfast bites
They sure do photograph well!
No bake energy filled breakfast bites
The very healthy ingredients.  I count dark chocolate as healthy...
No bake energy filled breakfast bites
I could not get a finer grind, the chocolate started to melt.
No bake energy filled breakfast bites
Chop up all your non sticky powdery ingredients.
Mix up your sticky powdered ingredients until they make a pasty like ball.
Mix the dry and the sticky and then roll them into balls.  My hands became too sticky at this point to take more pictures.

Roll them in the chocolately goodness.  
Healthy Chocolate Espresso Energy Balls (adapted from Epicurious)

Ingredients

3/4 cup dark chocolate-covered espresso beans
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 1/2 cups pitted dates (preferably Medjool)
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup creamy almond butter
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Pulse espresso beans in a food processor until very finely ground. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet or plate; set aside.  Pulse coconut, almonds, and pumpkin seeds in food processor until very coarsely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Pulse dates in food processor until finely chopped. Scrape down sides of bowl and add chia seeds. With the motor running, slowly stream in 1/4 cup very hot water and process until a paste forms. Add almond butter,  turmeric, and salt; process until very smooth. Add coconut mixture and pulse until just combined.  Scoop date mixture by the level tablespoon, roll into balls in between palms, then roll in reserved chopped espresso beans, pressing slightly to adhere. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet or plate lined with parchment paper and chill at least 1 hour.  These can be made up to 7 days ahead. Chill in an airtight container, or freeze up to 3 months.


No comments