And now for something from the archives (sweet potato and oatmeal breakfast casserole)

I am a green smoothie in the morning girl.  When I first started this blog I was adjusting to life of having to make them in advance for my Pure Barre schedule since I was used to living literally around the corner from it.  Now I was so sick of them I was desperate for some make ahead breakfast that I could have on the go or really quick.  I decided to check on my Pinned it and Liked it Board (that needs some serious updating) for some inspiration.  I knew I was eating other things for breakfast back then before I made the smoothie switch.

And I saw an old favorite recipe, from an old favorite blog I do not visit enough, Eat 80/20.  I looked around and had kind of everything to make it.  I could improvise a few things and make it a clean out the fridge, healthy breakfast!  So hemp went in the place of flax seeds, (I know, who has hemp hearts on hand but not flax seeds?) (yes, I used to live in Austin, why do you ask?) and almonds replaced the walnuts.  I am not sure what this did to it nutritionally, but still felt healthy and tasted amazing to me!  
Try this, it is really different but I promise it is so good.  Your family will never know they are eating hemp! And the topping feels so decadent without being so, it's really that good!  Full recipe with my modifications to follow the montage.


Yam and oat breakfast casserole
Just chock full of healthy monounsaturated fats and goodness!
Yam and oat breakfast casserole
The cast.  A lot of this stuff was happy to get out of my pantry!
Yam and oat breakfast casserole
Sweet potatoes are so pretty and not just for the holidays!
Yam and oat breakfast casserole
This kind of looks like baby food, right?!
Yam and oat breakfast casserole
Spices and syrup to the rescue!
Yam and oat breakfast casserole
Smooth it all down

Yam and oat breakfast casserole
And add that glorious topping!
Yam and oat breakfast casserole
Where was this picture when I had homework for class?!
Yam and oat breakfast casserole
You can't really tell a difference, but this is after a spell under the broiler.

Yam and oat breakfast casserole
So delicious, healthy, and dare I say it-pretty!

Sweet Potato and Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole (Adapted from Eat 80/20)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed into 1 inch pieces
1 cup quick cook oats
2 Tbsp hemp hearts
2 cups water
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

Topping
1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp chia seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add sweet potato cubes and boil for 5-7 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash.  While sweet potato are cooking, place 1 cup oats into a microwave-safe bowl. Add water and flax meal. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes (careful to not let it boil over). Remove from microwave and stir oatmeal into mashed yams. Stir in maple syrup, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.  To prepare topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mash to mix. Place sweet potato mixture into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish prepared with baking spray. Sprinkle topping mixture evenly on top. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil on high for 2 minutes (watch carefully so that topping browns but does not burn).

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments