No greens for that new baby! (Roasted root vegetables with smokey seasoning)


I showed you what I made my sister for dinner the other day and this is the other component.  When she is breastfeeding there is no time for the foods we normally love in her diet.  No greens, beans or noodle swaps, just straight meat and potatoes for my nieces when they are babies and growing! I decided to try and roast some veggies and not just make mashed potatoes.  I was having a particularly (I say was, still am) busy week at work and decided to take a break and grocery shop at the fancy Rouses by my office.  I could take a quick break, walk, get my groceries and be happy.

Well my bags split on the way back.  Right at the exit to the big fancy building across the street. I looked ridiculous scooting all the elements of the meal out of the way of a stockbroker's Yukon sneaking out early.  So for the rest of the day I had turnips in my purse!

In any event, this was so yummy!  The spices were just right and the veggies had so much flavor due to the roasting.  No one turned up their noses at the turnips!  Although, it was four adults having this with pretty unpicky palates.  Make this yummy side with roasted chicken, pan seared pork chops, flank steak, or with fish like I did.  You will not regret it.  Full recipe to follow the montage.


Roasted root vegetables with smokey seasoning
I forgot to get a finished product picture, but they look good going into the oven too!
Roasted root vegetables with smokey seasoning
The veggies and spices, so simple!
Roasted root vegetables with smokey seasoning
Parsnips are like albino carrots, but sweeter.  They are so good roasted!
Roasted root vegetables with smokey seasoning
All chopped up and ready to go!

Roasted root vegetables with smokey seasoning
Ready for a delicious ride in the oven


Roasted root vegetables with smokey seasoning

two small sweet potatoes or one large, peeled and chopped into cubes
3 small turnips chopped into cubes
3 parsnips, peeled and chopped into cubes
one small onion, peeled and cut in half four times to make cubes
1 pack whole mushrooms, cut in half
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Preheat oven to 375.  Place foil on two flat lipped pans and spray with non stick spray.  Toss the veggies, seasonings and a good drizzle of olive oil in a bowl then distribute evenly between the pans.  Make sure they are spread out well.  Place in heated oven and roast 25 minutes or until veggies are browned.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments