Saturday Night Special (Arugula Prosciutto and Gruyere Stuffed Chicken with a Shallot Pan Sauce)

This recipe is an oldie but goodie.  I last made it before I moved into my former apartment that named this blog, and remember it being delightful.  I was thinking of something to make for dinner on the fly with what I had on hand one Saturday night recently when I was home alone and the ingredients in my fridge screamed for this!

The pan sauce is just so rich and lovey, you will want so much more!  Arugula, Prosciutto and Gruyere cheese work really well together together to give so much flavor to the chicken.  I actually was bad and had packaged mashed potatoes underneath.  They were just as bad as I remembered growing up.  You know, the ones you add water to?  I caught them at St. Patrick's Day and they needed to go!

Make this! I adapted it a bit from the original over at Elly says Opa via Cooking Light to make it easier.  It looks so fancy, you could even make it for a dinner party!  I think the last time I made it, we had it over mashed cauliflower.  This would be great with rice, couscous or quinoa as well!  I had broccoli with t as well since I had some on hand.  Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday, click on over and check it out!


Arugula Prosciutto and Gruyere stuffed chicken with a shallot pan sauce
Looks so fancy you won't believe you made it yourself! 

The cast.  I added some lemon juice too, I'll remind you later.
Arugula Prosciutto and Gruyere stuffed chicken with a shallot pan sauce
Everything all ready to go!
Arugula Prosciutto and Gruyere stuffed chicken with a shallot pan sauce
Lay it all on the chicken
Arugula Prosciutto and Gruyere stuffed chicken with a shallot pan sauce
I think rolling it up with toothpicks is easier than stuffing it, but you do you when you make it.
Arugula Prosciutto and Gruyere stuffed chicken with a shallot pan sauce
I could not get this shot right with the lighting,

Arugula Prosciutto and Gruyere stuffed chicken with a shallot pan sauce
After browning, place in the oven to continue the cooking.
All of my sauce making photos came out terrible, but trust me, it is easy!
Arugula Prosciutto and Gruyere stuffed chicken with a shallot pan sauce

Adapted from Cooking Light

4 chicken breast halves (about 1-1.25 lbs. total)
4 slices prosciutto
2 oz. of Gruyere, shredded
1 cup baby arugula
half a lemon, cut into 4 wedges
3 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. olive oil
3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
1 tsp. tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine
1.5 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. cold water
1 tsp. cornstarch

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Discard plastic wrap. Top each chicken breast half with 1 slice prosciutto, a sprinkle of cheese, and 1/4 cup arugula, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edges. Squeeze lemon juice over mixture. Fold in half, pinching edges together to seal and secure with toothpicks; sprinkle with salt and pepper. (The chicken can be prepared up to a day ahead and refrigerated at this point.)  Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes on each side. Place chicken in a shallow baking pan; bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until done. Keep warm.

Add shallots to skillet; sauté 4 minutes over medium-high heat or until browned. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 6 minutes). Add broth; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half (about 8 minutes). Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a fork until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to sauce; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments