Too chicken to grill (Island Style Turkey Burgers)

I love me a chicken burger.  I have made my all time favorite buffalo chicken burger a million times.  I need to make my Moroccan chicken burger with mint slaw again. I've made chipotle chile, hatch chile and tomatillo beef burgers as well.  I wanted to try something Asian flavored for my next foray into homemade chicken burgers.  As I was browsing the various ground meats at Trader Joe's; I realized now that I am trying to watch my cholesterol, turkey burgers it will have to be! It is so much lower in the stuff my body can't process.

My only regret with these was that they were a bit dry when I reheated them.  If you eat them right away that is not a problem though.  I think I will use a combo of turkey breast and dark meat turkey next time or add some more liquid to the meat mixture to avoid this problem.  The ginger and soy sauce go so well with the grilled pineapple, and the carrots in the mix created great texture.

Try these, I bet they would be great with chicken, ground meat or even tuna!  I should have tried that! You don't have to be a crazy person and do it on lettuce like me, a toasted bun with some sriracha mayo may just make this perfection!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Pineapple makes everything so festive!
Speaking of festive, look at this fancy cast!
Throw all the burger ingredients in the bowl and mix, but not too much.
Form into the perfect sized patties
Brown them up!  I would have grilled, but it rained.  I used my Frywall, a must have!
Look how delicous!
Again, I would have grilled these, but they were great browned in the same pan!
Plate and enjoy!
Island Style Turkey Burgers (loosely based on A Skinny Taste recipe)

1 lbs ground turkey
1/4 cup grated carrots
2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 tsp ginger minced (I used squeeze from a tube)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tbsp  soy sauce
1 tsp sweet chili sauce (or sub sriracha for more spice)
1/4 tsp ground pepper flakes (optional)
4 slices fresh pineapple, cored
8 lettuce leaves
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup pineapple juice (or sub Trader Joe's Island soyaki for both of these like I did, 3/4 cup)

Gently combine the ground turkey with grated carrots, green onions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and sweet chili/sriracha sauce.  Form into equal sized patties, try not to overwork the meat so it doesn't get tough.  Heat a grill or cast iron skillet. When hot, place the patties on the grill/pan and cook on high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove the burgers and brush pineapple slices with teriyaki mixture.  Heat the pineapple slices for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.  Use lettuce leaves or toasted buns for plating, top with the cooked burger and 1 tbsp of teriyaki sauce, then top with grilled pineapple.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments