Anonymous soup on the fly (Turkey Barley and Greens Soup)

I know that I did not mean to make this soup when I was meal planning for the week in question; because I literally made it up as I started cooking.  I don't remember what day it was either.  I am guessing it was raining, plans fell through and it was a tough day at work.

But you know what I do remember?  How dang yummy this was.  I also know I cheated and added a little bacon to the turkey to give it flavor, so chop up a piece or two if you want, but I don't think it made that big of a difference.  The flavors are so good and the collards make it really deep, like you have cooked it all day.

Soup is always so delightful and all you northerners that are still having winter need to make this stat!  It is delicious enough for lunch on a not cold day too for us southerners.  And easy!  Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday

Collards Barley and Turkey Soup
So comforting
Collards Barley and Turkey Soup
The cast.  No bacon present, but I think I remember it being invited.
Collards Barley and Turkey Soup
Pretty veggies all in a row.  
Collards Barley and Turkey Soup
Saute it all up! 
Collards Barley and Turkey Soup
These were some big collards!
Collards Barley and Turkey Soup
You see the bacon peeking through here, it wasn't much!
Collards Barley and Turkey Soup
Destemmed and chopped.
Collards Barley and Turkey Soup
Simmer away!
Collards Barley and Turkey Soup
I want the cold weather back and a bowl of this please!

Turkey, Barley and Greens Soup
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1 onion chopped
3 carrots, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic depending on your liking
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 bunch collard greens or other hearty green, de stemmed and cut into bite sized pieces
2 cups chicken or turkey broth
1/2 cup barley
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a dutch oven over medium heat.  Add a tablespoon of cooking oil and add carrots and onion and heat until onions are translucent about 7 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for one minute.  Add the rest of the oil and add the turkey and cook, breaking it up, until the meat is beige and looks cooked through.  Add the greens, broth and barley and bring to a boil. Add some water or more broth if everything is not fully submerged. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer for a half hour.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Ladle into bowls and enjoy!


Happy Cooking!

Missy

P.S Happy birthday to my middle sister, we are only a year apart now until I hit another birthday!

Here is the printable!

No comments