Why have mac and cheese when you can have slaw! (Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon)

Joining a produce club makes you try veggies you have never heard of and ones you don't use often.  One that I really do not use often enough is red cabbage.  I always go for green, not because I don't like red, it just never jumps out to me as a thing to purchase. My Covey Rise share had red cabbage in it recently.  I needed to make a veggie dish for a family gathering and I decided to use it.  I had some mizuna left from my delicious experiment with kholrabi and decided that would work with it as well.

The Kitchn read my mind and had a recipe for red cabbage slaw with hazelnuts and flaky salt.  I had some in my pantry I wanted to use up leftover from my non championship cookies!  I love when the universe works in this way.  The only problem was my picky family members who would complain about my hippie veggies in lieu of mac and cheese, but it is summer and we don't need carbs!

Turns out only the food adventurers like me even tried it and we ate it all!  They all raved about how great it was and loved the roast on the cabbage.  This would be great with kale or arugula or anything else like that too.  Make this, it is a great summer side!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
We do foil containers for all family gatherings, less dishes!
Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
It is such a pretty color that red cabbage!
Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
These buddies were hard to chop, I'd pulse them in the food processor.
Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
Mizuna is the new arugula in my book!
Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
Look at the color on that charred cabbage!
Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
Mix the roasted and fresh to make it all feel cooked.
Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
And then add the rest of your friends to the party, success!
Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon (Adapted from the Kitchn)

1 head red cabbage
1 bunch spinach, kale or mizuna if you can find it, stemmed and chopped.
Olive oil
1 1/4 cups hazelnuts
1 lemon, juiced, about 3 tablespoons
1 teaspoon honey
Flaky salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1 ounce Gruyere cheese, optional

Heat the broiler (top element) of your oven.  Core cabbage and roughly shred with a sharp knife, a mandoline, or the shredding blade of a food processor. Place in a large bowl and toss, lightly, with a swirl of olive oil and spread in one thick layer on a big baking sheet.  Broil for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the tips of the cabbage shreds begin to char. Stir thoroughly to turn the cabbage, then broil for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the cabbage from the oven and mix into a  bowl with greens. Turn the oven down to 350°F. Roughly chop the hazelnuts and spread in a baking dish. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted (watch closely).  Whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil, the juice of 1 lemon, and the honey.  Toss the cabbage/greens with the dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with 1 cup of the toasted hazelnuts. Spread on a large platter and garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup of hazelnuts. If desired, also garnish generously with Parmesan cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

Programming Note:  Sorry I have been MIA, I am traveling this week and next and did nothing but clean and pack last weekend.  Heading to Phoenix today for DG convention and the Beach next week with my family.  Follow my shenanigans on Instagram @Missyquiggs.  I'll be back in a  few weeks to recap and present some great food posts I have been working on! Have a happy 4th!

No comments