A low carb swap for the ages! (Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere)

My Spring of local produce with Covey Rise Farms has come to an end. I am sad to see it go, but they will be doing it again in the fall.  Now I get to go back to meal planning way in advance, which will help me get more posts going for the blog hopefully.

I digress.  I should be talking about the delicious au gratin I have for you today.  While it still has potatoes, I swapped half  for turnips.  What a dang good idea, saving carbs and calories without sacrificing taste! The leeks in it also bring some great taste.  It called for milk and since I only use vanilla almond milk, I decided to bring out my leftover spring onion soup as a replacement.  Even more flavor!  

This was very yummy, and I am inspired to do more potato swaps with turnips now!  Have you ever swapped turnips in for something?  Do you love au gratin even if it is out of a box like me?  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere
Cheesy and delicious!
Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere
All veggies and cheese, all you need!
Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere
 I would have skinned better you wouldn't be able to tell them apart!
Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere
Leeks are high maintenance!
Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere
But they are a pretty color!
Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere
Cheese always makes it better!
Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere
And it is even better when melted!
Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere
I served it with my favorite treat, boneless but still with skin chicken breasts!

Turnip, Potato and Leek Gratin with Gruyere (adapted from Cooking Light)

2 1/2 cups milk (I subbed spring onion soup, whole, skim or plain almond will work)
1 pound potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 pound white turnips, peeled and very thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
half of a small shallot, minced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large leek, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and sliced (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Combine milk, potatoes, turnips and garlic in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes and turnips are almost tender. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup milk mixture.  Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add leek and shallot; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Arrange half of potato/turnip slices in a single layer in bottom of skillet or a gratin dish; top evenly with half of leek mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup Gruyère cheese. Repeat layers with remaining half of potatoes/turnips, remaining half of leek mixture, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 cup Gruyère. Drizzle with reserved 1/2 cup milk mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover pan with foil; bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove foil from pan. Turn on broiler (do not remove pan from oven). Broil 5 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Remove pan from oven, and sprinkle with pepper and serve.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments