Always keep an eye on the oven (Lemon basil sugar cookies)

I picked up my haul at Covey Rise a few weeks ago and the special treat was lemon basil.  I wanted to just put it in a vase it smelled so good!  But you know how I am; I cannot let anything go to waste! The email announcement of the contents of the share contained a recipe for lemon basil snaps.  I am not really a sweets person, but this sounded right up my alley.

These are a great treat and I am sure would be good with regular old basil.  They are simple to make and would look a lot prettier in this post if I wouldn't have overcooked them.  I kind of forgot about them.  But I brought them to work and everyone loved the crispness, but they were a bit too crumbly.  Make sure you don't neglect your cookies!  

Make these for a savory sweet treat, they would be great with some milk!  Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up with Danielle and others for Girl Chat and the fine folks at Meal Plan Monday

Crunchy little snaps!
The blurry cast.  I left the butter out to soften for awhile.  Do it!
All the friends, ready to go for a whirl.
Swirly makers are so fun.
Ball them up and roll them in sugar and crushed nuts.  Doesn't that sound delightful?
I promise I washed my hands before smashing. 
Cool them on a rack and then enjoy!

LEMON BASIL SUGAR COOKIES

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup minced fresh lemon basil leaves
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
3 tablepoons sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed, until it becomes fluffy. Add in 3/4 cup sugar until mixed well. Beat in egg, lemon rind, lemon juice, and minced basil leaves, mixing until thoroughly blended. In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually beat into butter mixture until well blended. Cover and chill for about 1 hour. In a shallow bowl, combine nuts and 3 tablespoons sugar. Once chilled, shape dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in nut mixture until well coated. Place on an ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Use hand or bottom of a glass to flatten slightly. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool before enjoying.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments