At least I found a new excuse to bake! (Beet brownies)

Y'all know I hate beets.  Except in dessert.  I can say that now that I have made two desserts that I like with them!  I got the final installment of beets in my Covey Rise share, and the content announcement came with a recipe for beet brownies.  Remembering how much I loved my beet red velvet cupcakes, I had to try them.  

These were so moist and chocolately and I think that is owed to the beets.  I brought them to work and no one tasted the beets, even though I gave a disclaimer ahead of time as you will see below.  These are so gooey in the middle and crispy on the sides; they will please all tastes!  Now that I have locked beets in as a dessert choice; I can make my family, man and coworkers happy with my picky palate!

Make this next time you have beets, want to hide some veggies from a man or children or just want to make something pink!  Full recipe to follow the montage. 

Beet Brownies
Crappy iPhone photos for the not win...
Beet Brownies
I told you I warned everyone!  They still gobbled them up!
Beet Brownies
The Cast.  I made the roasted beets ahead of time.
Beet Borwnies
Why are they so offensive to me?
Beet Brownies
Melted butter makes everything taste better!
Beet Brownies
Not that sugar and cocoa need much help!
Beet Brownies
Here goes nothing!
Beet Brownies
It sure looks pretty!
Beet Brownies
Can't hurt to add more chocolate!
Beet Brownies
Ready to roll!  RIP Pyrex, she died a few days later in a cabinet accident.
Beet Brownies
So maroon, so chocolately, so delicious!
Beet Brownies (Recipe Courtesy of Covey Rise Farms)

8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1¼ cups pure cane sugar
¾ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup beet puree - *see note
3/4 cup unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 325F. Grease an 8x8x2 pan.  Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently as it continues to bubble. When there are small brown specs, and it smells like nutty caramel, remove pan from heat. Add sugar, cocoa powder and salt to combine. In separate bowl, beat eggs. After butter mixture has cooled in pot 4-5 minutes, slowly pour in eggs, stirring constantly until well combined. Add vanilla and beet puree, stir to combine. Add flour and baking powder, stir to combine. Add chocolate chunks, stir to combine. Bake 35 minutes in preheated oven or until top no longer looks very wet and a toothpic comes out clean.

* To make beet puree, wrap whole beets (stems removed) in aluminum foil and roast in 400 degree F oven for at least an hour until soft to the touch. Allow beets to cool enough to handle and peel away skin. Puree beets in blender or food processor with just enough milk (I used 1/4 cup almond milk) to allow puree to achieve a very smooth consistency.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments