Jazz Fest leads to fancy comfort drunk food (Slow Cooked Brisket and Caramelized Onions)

I love Jazz Fest.  I always go to as many days as I can.  It wreaks havoc on my budget and diet as it has some of New Orleans' best food everywhere, I drink vodka that I sneak in, and then I get home and end up ordering a pizza or something equally bad.  The first weekend of Jazz Fest, my friend's husband told me he had put ribs in the crockpot slow cooker so they would have food when they got home.  I was impressed and inspired.

When I do Jazz Fest I party hard all day, get home at 8 o'clock chow down and go to bed by 9. Which means I wake up at like 5 am since I normally go to be at midnightish.  The last day of the first weekend, I decided to make my own slow cooker recipe so I could stop ordering Papa John's pizza. That, by the way, was $25 a pop!  Was I ordering wrong or has pizza gotten that expensive?

I went to Rouses at the ungodly hour of like 7 am to grocery shop.  I needed a meat.  I was craving some brisket as it was Passover time (No, I am not Jewish, it just feels right!).  I googled and found this excellent slow cooker recipe from the Kitchn.  I love brisket and caramelized onions, why the heck not!  I also decided I was just doing this to save money and not for healthy purposes so I could splurge on a side.  Which allowed me to get some Julienne Potatoes from Betty Crocker.  My mom is not where I got my cooking skills from; she loved getting things that were easy to make out of a box, I am sure you fellow 80's kids can relate!

This was so delicious.  It was even better as leftovers.  I paired it with a cabbage casserole the next week and utilized it in a taco salad as well.  It is the perfect set it, forget it and reuse it recipe.  You should make it, it would be great over rice, over egg noodles, in tacos, in enchiladas or any which way you can make it work! Full Recipe after the montage.

I cannot tell you how delicious this was.  It was well deserved after a long day of walking, dancing and drinking my way through Jazz Fest!
The very simple cast.  I cut the recipe in half and it still fed me like 5 times!
Obligatory onion photo.
I cannot get enough of you caramelized onions!
I knew this was going to be a smoker so I opened the window...with the A/C on!  My Audi would have yelled at me for that!
Look at that yummy crust!
I cut the recipe in half, but not the garlic!
Mix up the liquids
Add the yummy onions and liquids and set it and forget it!
Hello love!  That looks so good!
Just straight up pull apart.  So yum!
How could this be yummier?  
I know how...
Cheesy comforting gooeyness.  Cheat weekend in full effect!
Serve it up and smile!
Slow-Cooked Brisket and Onions (Borrowed from the Kitchn)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds yellow or red onions (about 2 large onions), sliced into half moons
3 1/2 pounds beef brisket
Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Heat a deep sauté pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat with the olive oil. Add the onions and cook on medium-low to medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes or until the onions have caramelized lightly. Remove onions from pan. Take the brisket out of its packaging and pat it dry. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper. Add to your onion sauté pan over medium-high heat and turn on your vent or fan, or open a window like I did. Sear the brisket until a golden brown crust appears on both sides of the meat. Remove and place in a slow-cooker insert, fatty side up. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the meat. When the onions are lightly browned, pile them on top and around the meat. Mix the broth, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce, and pour into the slow-cooker insert.  Cover and cook in the slow cooker on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until the brisket is very tender. Let rest for at least 20 minutes before serving in the slow cooker set on WARM.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments