A creative healthier take on a favorite, perfect for lunch! (Corn tortilla pizzas - four ways)


One of my staple go to meals when I need a quick lunch or dinner is a corn tortilla pizza.  I usually just add whatever i have lying around the house to it, which usually means some form of spinach and artichoke.  I decided to try four different takes on the pizza for lunch one week and make it into a post to share my results.  It was an experiment in deliciousness.

As you know I have a buffalo flavor addiction.  I decided to make one of the pies a buffalo chicken pizza.  My go to pizza, but I never get to order it because no one likes it is a Hawaiian pizza.  I just love the ham and pineapple together!  I decided to make a version of my usual standby with whatever I had laying around.  I needed a fourth.  I decided to go BBQ, because well, why not?

I ended up liking the BBQ one the best!  I think it is probably because of the sauce.  I cannot rave about my favorite Cajun BBQ sauce, Pig Stand, enough.  It is so tangy and different, worth trying via the Internets (this is also a good brand) for sure.  I made these the night before and then reheated in the toaster oven at work.  I am sure they are still good in the microwave, but the toaster oven really is the best way to make them not taste-well-leftover!

What is your favorite pizza combination?  Have you made these before?  If not try it, a very healthy alternative for pizza cravings! Full recipe to follow the montage!  

salami artichoke pizza
This is the traditional one.  It was the only one that cooperated for a close up.
My random cast of characters.  Does not include everything.  Will tell all below.


hawaiian pizza
Ham, pineapple and jalapeno.  Who doesn't want that on a pizza?!

sauced perfectly!
First you sauce.  Make sure it is lightly.

"Hawaiian pizza"
Add on your toppings. Cheese goes last!

Bake it up until it looks ready.  On second thought, this needed more browning.

Next comes the "traditional" aka clean out the fridge pizza.  

Perfect browning on the cheese!
grilled chicken
I did not make enough chicken.  Next time I will make two pieces!

bufflo chicken toppings
Toss the chicken in buffalo sauce.  I did tiny dice celery and carrots so they would not overpower.

buffalo chicken pizza
The base of this one is buffalo ranch.

"barbecue chicken pizza" BBQ
I don't know how I did not get prep pictures, but here is the BBQ chicken.  Just shallots and chicken.  
Corn Tortilla Mini pizzas: (makes as many as you want, but my topping suggestion are for 2)

Corn tortillas
olive oil
2-4 spoonfuls (the big spoon in your silverware set) of sauce option
toppings of your choice
1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice

Preheat oven to 425.  Brush tortillas with olive oil on both sides and place on a pizza stone or foil lined and sprayed pan.  Place a spoonful or two of sauce on the tortilla and spread to lightly cover the surface of tortilla.  Add your desired toppings and cover lightly with cheese.  Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is browned to your liking.

"Traditional" combination:

Sauce: Pizza sauce or pesto
Toppings: 8 pieces of salami, 1/2 cup chopped artichokes, chopped roasted garlic
Cheese: Mozzarella

Hawaiian combination:

Sauce: Pizza sauce
Toppings: 1/2 cup chopped deli ham, 1/4 cup chopped pineapple, a few chopped pickled jalapenos
Cheese: Mozzarella

Buffalo Chicken Combination:

Sauce: Buffalo ranch (even parts buffalo sauce and ranch)
Toppings: one finely chopped carrot, one finely chopped stalk of celery, one grilled boneless piece of chicken, chopped and tossed in buffalo sauce.
Cheese: Cheddar

BBQ Chicken Combination:

Sauce: BBQ of your choice
Toppings: Sliced red onion or shallots, one grilled boneless piece of chicken, chopped and tossed in BBQ sauce.
Cheese: Cheddar

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments