Breakfast for dessert! (Chocolate dutch baby)

A few weeks ago, I had a slumber party with my niece, Kate.  If you know Kate, you will know she is a chocoholic.  She is a big fan of my mug brownies and only ever wants to eat that, which is a terrible thing when you are a food blogger that only makes dessert when she is hanging out with borrowed kids!  Dessert is the best, but not on my little to no carb lifestyle.

I was perusing my beloved Smitten Kitchen cookbook for some menu inspiration and came across the beautiful recipe for a Chocolate Dutch Baby.  It sounded decadent, rich and different.  I knew she would not mind that since she devoured Pots de Creme as three year old (Y'all have to click that link to my Instagram of it, it is too dang cute!)  And we could cook it together to make a memory and teach her how to bake.  It was a win win!  Except, it caused me to forget to get a picture of the finished product, in tact, which is what you need!

In all, this was so delicious for breakfast or dessert.  I was sure I messed it up when I put it in the oven because the original post did not have a picture of that.  Be aware, that is how it is supposed to look. It puffed up so big in the oven that Kate shrieked with delight!  Powdered sugar and shaved dark chocolate was a great addition, but it would be delightful with fruit and syrup for breakfast. Make this, it is so easy and good!  Full recipe to follow the montage.


It has the texture of a pancake and full of chocolate deliciousness.
The ingredients,  Baking is such science!
My little helper whisking the eggs.
Now that the chocolate got mixed in, she is a happy camper!
Don't skimp on the butter.  This is a treat, remember!
I was pretty sure I ruined it, but folks, this is what it is supposed to look like!
Add toppings, plate and smile.

Chocolate Dutch Baby (borrowed from Smitten Kitchen)
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons  sugar
1/4 teaspoon coarse or kosher salt
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, any variety, sifted if lumpy
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Shaved dark chocolate and powdered sugar (to finish)

Heat oven to 425 degrees F.  Whisk eggs, sugar and salt in the bottom of a medium bowl. Add flour and cocoa, whisking until mostly smooth (some tiny lumps are okay, but whisk out what you can). Drizzle in milk, whisking the whole time.  Heat a 12-inch ovenproof skillet on the stove over high heat. Add butter and melt, tipping the pan around so it butters the sides too. Turn heat off and scrape batter into pan. Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until pancake is billowy. Remove from oven and grate chocolate over, to taste. Dust generously with powdered sugar. Cut in halves or quarters and eat with berries and syrup, if desired.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments