It ain't pesto without nuts! (arugula salsa verde pasta with roasted veggies and chicken)

Update:  New niece has a  name!  Ruby Ann!  Now on to the food!

I bought a big bag of arugula for a specific recipe and it did not happen.  I made a small salad out of it, which is now a favorite of the gentleman caller, and never made the recipe.  So I decided to make a semi pesto out of it, but not a real pesto because I had no nuts. I found this recipe for arugula salsa verde and knew it was the ticket.  I made it and put it in a mason jar for another day.  Then the next day, I had a night that needed a quick dinner.  Arugula salsa and other pantry staples to the rescue!

I also made an impulse purchase of roasted marinated jarred veggies from Costco (can't find them online) and thought they would be nice with the arugula sauce.  I bought some egg noodles for my Friday night with Katie Kakes for Steven Gurley Gravy and I knew I was not going to use them all, and I always have chicken laying around.  A plan had come together!

Oh man this was good!  The rest of the arugula salsa is in my freezer and I can't wait to try it again! This had such bright flavor, felt light for a pasta dish, and pleased both a man and a lady on cheat day. Try the sauce, make it your own or do this pasta dish.  It is delish!  Full recipe to follow.

Arugula salsa verde pasta
Egg noodles are my jam on cheat day!

Arugula salsa verde pasta
The cast for the arugula sauce
Arugula salsa verde pasta
Nothing like taking your aggression out on produce!
Arugula salsa verde pasta
Throw it all in a bowl
Arugula salsa verde pasta
And mix it all up like pesto!

Arugula salsa verde pasta
Y'all you must get these veggies at Costco, they are awesome! Perfect for pasta or entertaining!

Arugula salsa verde pasta
Mix your salsa with hot noodles to mix it well.

Arugula salsa verde pasta
Toss with chopped veggies and grilled chicken and voila!

Arugula Salsa Verde (Adapted from Epicurious):
2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped (optional)
juice of one lemon
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
3 cups arugula leaves, finely chopped
1/4 cup coarse breadcrumbs (I used panko)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan

Mix tomatoes, lemon, garlic, arugula, breadcrumbs, and vinegar in a small bowl. Using a wooden spoon, slowly mix in 3/4 cup oil, then Parmesan. Pour a little oil on surface to keep salsa from discoloring. Allow flavors to mingle for an hour or more before serving.

For the pasta dish:

1/2 bag medium egg noodles
1 cup arugula salsa verde
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
1 cup roasted marinated veggies chopped
salt and pepper to taste
cheese for topping (I used shaved Parmesan)

Cook noodles to package instructions and drain.  Add salsa to pasta in cooking vessel and toss.  Add chicken and veggies and toss.  Season with salt and pepper and plate.  Serve with cheese.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments