When life throws you cabbage... (Asian inspired cabbage stir fry)

I shared with you before St. Patrick's day how I got a concussion from a cabbage.  The tradition of throwing produce at a parade has always felt a little odd to me, but I knew it had something to do with history, which made my inner nerd okay with it.  Plus, hey, free produce!  My grandmother always grabs as much as she can from the parade to make a big pot of soup.  

I was blessed this year to not be injured and also to come home with two cabbages.  I decided to make a stir fry with one of them.  I searched the blog and never made this exact thing so it turned into a blog post in a lean time when I was much too busy to do blog posts.  It was a win win!

If you like cabbage, you will love this.  Even if you don't love it, this is one of the best ways to eat it without bacon and cheese.  Lots of veggies, customizable for your protein choice and you can use any sauce.  It is a perfect weeknight dinner and the leftovers were really good for lunch.  Check this out, and customize it to your liking.  Try pork, steak or shrimp and a different sauce, make it yours, get inspired!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Asian inspired cabbage stir fry (low carb)
So colorful and comforting.
Asian inspired cabbage stir fry (low carb)
Simple ingredients.  The sauce was left out and this took too many tries.
Asian inspired cabbage stir fry (low carb)
Lots of chopping is good when you are stressed.  I enjoyed taking life out on the produce.
Asian inspired cabbage stir fry (low carb)
This stuff is SO good.  I highly recommend it, pineapple is life!
Asian inspired cabbage stir fry (low carb)
I don't know why I can never get the hang of a wok.  I love this pan for that reason.
Asian inspired cabbage stir fry (low carb)
Add your chicken in your scooted out hole.
Asian inspired cabbage stir fry (low carb)
Man it got dark fast while I was making this!  No more daylight!
Asian inspired cabbage stir fry (low carb)
And the finished product!  A lovely little bowl!

Asian inspired Cabbage stir fry
1 1/2 tbsp.  sesame oil
1 head of cabbage, chopped
2 carrots cut into matchsticks
1 onion, sliced
4 green onions sliced into rounds, divided
2 boneless skinless chicken thighs chopped in small pieces
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
sesame seasoning blend (optional)
Your favorite stir fry sauce (I used Trader Joe's Island Soyaki)
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large skillet, or a wok if you are feeling fancy, over medium heat.  Add 1 tbsp. sesame oil and heat until shimmering.  Add cabbage, carrots and onion and cook, stirring, until onions are starting to brown about 10 minutes.  Scoot that over to make room and add the rest of the sesame oil.  Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add them in the empty part of the skillet and allow to cook for 2 minutes, flip for another two minutes, then combine with the veggies to continue cooking.  Add the mushrooms, garlic and half the green onions.  Cook an additional five minutes until chicken is cooked through.  Add 1/2 cup stir fry sauce (or more to taste) and combine.  Serve in bowls, garnished with remaining green onion and sesame seasoning blend.

Happy Cooking!

Missy


P.S. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday, Check it out!

No comments