Bring us back something French! (French Onion Quiche)

Have you ever gotten just determined to eat something?  I was determined to have something French Onion flavored and needed to make brunch for my friends.  Why not make a French Onion quiche?  I did it and made up my own recipe and was so delighted with the result!

This is not a sub for cheesy warm French Onion soup by any means but man was it tasty!  The caramelized onions, Gruyere and cream combined to create a lovely party in my friends and my mouth.  The crock pot caramelized onions were so tasty and make this recipe easier, but makes it take a bit longer.  Make this next time you are craving a French breakfast or are entertaining, you will not regret it!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

French Onion Quiche
The cast.  So simple and French.
French Onion Quiche
It is just the onions coloring it this way, it was totally light beige before that!
French Onion Quiche
I made my pie crust edges as pretty as I could in a rush.
French Onion Quiche
I mean!  How delicious?!
French Onion Quiche
Pin it and make it!
French Onion Quiche

1 pie crust (I used the already made kind!)
6 eggs
1 cup and 1 tbsp half and half
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 lb Gruyere cheese shredded (about 1 and 1/4 cups)
1 tbsp. flour
juice of 1/2 lemon
5 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed by running your fingers down them
1 1/2 cup caramelized onions (I made mine in the crock pot)
1/4 cup shredded cheese (Parmesan or Romano or whatever you have)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Lay out pie crust in a pie plate and get it all snug and decorate the crust edges how you want.  In a large bowl, whisk eggs, mustard and half and half together.  Toss Gruyere and flour together to coat the cheese and then stir into egg mixture.  Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine. Place pie plate on a baking sheet and then pour the batter into pie crust.  Place in preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until quiche is set.  Remove and serve immediately or let cool completely and wrap in foil to refrigerate (up to 2 days) or freeze (up to 6 months).  To reheat, place cool (let it thaw if frozen) quiche in an oven preheated to 325 and bake for 25 minutes to reheat. (I made it the day before and did this).

Happy Cooking!

Missy


No comments