An easy meal with comforting spice and yolk (Spiced Butternut Squash Breakfast Bowl)

I am always looking for different breakfast ideas when I am eating breakfast.  I try to do intermittent fasting every now and then; but sometimes I want a hardy breakfast.  I received some butternut squash in my covey rise share and it was slated for breakfast.  I thought about making muffins or bread, but then I saw this Breakfast Burrito Bowl with Spiced Butternut Squash at Skinnytaste and thought it would be a great inspiration for my butternut breakfast!

Y'all the spices on the squash are amazing!  I did not make pico de gallo and use all the ingredients she used, I just threw in some heated cherry tomatoes, a fried egg and avocado and it was like bliss!  This would also make a great lunch if you are vegetarian inclined.  Make this, your taste buds will sing! Full recipe to follow the montage.  

Spiced Butternut Squash Breakfast Bowl
I am in love with runny yolks and avocado!
Spiced Butternut Squash Breakfast Bowl
Chopping this stuff is a labor of love. You can use frozen and save your love
Spiced Butternut Squash Breakfast Bowl
Don't they look yummy!

Spiced Butternut Squash Breakfast Bowl
Perfect breakfast or lunch for a healthy person!

Spiced Butternut Squash Breakfast Bowl

cooking spray
20-ounces butternut squash, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
3 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup cherry tomatoes
4 large eggs
1 large avocado, quartered

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a large nonstick baking sheet with oil. In a medium bowl, combine squash, olive oil, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Toss well to coat. Spread squash evenly onto a sheet pan and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until browned and tender, tossing once halfway through. At the halfway point, add tomatoes so they can heat up.  Heat a  skillet over medium heat, lightly spray with cooking spray, add eggs, season with salt, cover and cook to your desired doneness.  To assemble bowls: Layer squash, tomatoes, 1/4 avocado, 1 egg. Repeat for remaining bowls.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments