Low carb pizza in a slow cooker, what's not to love?

Since my friend Stephanie gave me a slow cooker, I have been looking for more ways to use it.  I had some mozzarella cheese burning a hole in my fridge and a lot of pizza toppings on hand.  I have pizza dough in my freezer from Trader Joe's, but with last week being carb cheat week, I needed to get back on the wagon.  In my search for slow cooker recipes I came across one for crustless pizza in the slow cooker!  Sounded too good to be true.  Turned out it kind of was since it looked nothing like pizza, but it tasted amazing! It came out more like a soup.  Full recipe and a note after the montage.

The sure to be delicious cast of characters.  That's mozzarella cheese, not butter.
Layer your pepperoni on the bottom
Remember how I said I was going to stop photographing sauteed onions and garlic?  I did it, these were sauteed before being added.
Add half of your sauce and spread around.
Add a layer of spinach
Add your other toppings
Add a layer of cheese
And then start over but this time I used ham
Ready to set it and forget it!
Four hours later. it looks like cheesy yummy soup!

I cannot tell you how delicious it was despite the fail!

Low carb slow cooker pizza (adapted from Your Lighter Side)

1-15 ounce jar pizza sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 cups fresh spinach
16 slices pepperoni (I used half pepperoni and half ham)

Toppings (Substitute these or add your faves)
I used:
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced

I sauteed my onions and garlic first because I don't like them raw.  In a slow cooker, make a bottom layer of pepperoni, drop some onions and garlic on top and place half of sauce on top. Place half of fresh spinach on top of sauce mixture. Place 1/2 desired toppings on top. Place half of mozzarella cheese on top. Repeat layers ending with mozzarella. Cook on low 4-6 hours. Let cool slightly and cut into 8 slices. Refrigerate remaining.

I varied greatly from the original pinned recipe so that is probably why it looked more like a soup than a quiche.  Click through to see how she made it, she also has nutritional information.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments