The rabbit hole comes to an end (boudin balls)

In the final post that involves that loaf of bread I made, I give you the gift of boudin balls.  Here's the rabbit hole. I made boudin a few weeks ago with my friend Jambalaya Girl's Jamblaya Rice Mix.  I ate some of it in lettuce, stuffed it in a chicken and then put the rest in my freezer.  My freezer is not normal sized and a bit small and I was itching to get the boudin out of it before it went bad.  My cousin asked me to make breadcrumbs for a post, and then my friends Laura and Jeff were having a housewarming party.  An idea was sparked!  I would make boudin balls for the party!  Boudin balls are delicious.  Emeril makes some delicious food, why not use his recipe? Except I had to take out the mayo for the dipping sauce.  The Hostess is extremely #teamnomayo as am I.  It's my blog I can do what I wanna! Full recipe after the montage.

The cast.  For something so delicious, boudin filling really doesn't photograph well!  
Uncased boudin would have a tough time on Tinder for sure!
I love an assembly line!
Form that delicious stuff into a ball.  It looks a little more photogenic now,
despite my terrible fledgling photography skills.
Now she's a beaut after her assembly line!  It really does take a village to be photogenic!
Place them in their temporary resting place and place in the freezer for awhile.
My doctored up sauce ingredients ready for their close up. 
Place them all in a tupperware lidded container.  (Remember I was an ad major!)
No one will know it is #teamnomayo and they will be better for it!
Heat up some oil in a dutch oven.  Or fire up your Fry Daddy if you have one. 
Awoken after their nap and ready to report for deliciousness
Believe it or not they are in there.  I used my probe thermometer to make sure the oil was at 350.
Sure to be a hit!

Boudin Balls 
pounds Boudin Sausage, removed from casings
1 cup flour

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt

2 cups coarse dry breadcrumbs, preferably homemade

2 large eggs

1/4 cup milk

Vegetable oil, for deep-frying


In a shallow bowl, season the flour with 1 tablespoon of the salt. In another shallow bowl, place the breadcrumbs. In a third shallow bowl, whisk the eggs together with the milk and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt.  With damp hands, shape the boudin into balls the size of your choosing. Dredge the balls in the flour, and then dip them in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Finally, dredge the balls in the breadcrumbs, turning to coat them evenly.  Transfer the boudin balls to a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.  Preheat the vegetable oil in a dutch oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Using a slotted spoon and working in batches, slide the balls gently into the oil and fry until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain briefly on the prepared baking sheet. Let them cool briefly before serving.

Mustardy dipping sauce
1 cup sour cream
5 tablespoons Creole mustard, or other whole-grain spicy mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix all ingredients thoroughly serve with boudin balls.

These were a hit at the party!  The party was also a hit too and we all woke up with hangovers.  It was so good to get most of the group together to see Laura and Jeff's awesome new back yard and to see some faces I hadn't seen in ages!  

Happy cooking!

Missy

No comments