A mouthful by name and in person (Buffalo chickpea asparagus avocado polenta bowl)

I pinned this recipe for BBQ chickpeas and all the other things in the title about a year ago.  I am guessing I pinned it because I was starting to have this blog in my head at that time and wanted something pretty to cook.  Most of the food I make tastes really good, but is messy in the presentation and coherent recipe department.  This recipe is very pretty and photographs well.  It is also very delicious!  

I decided to make it into a buffalo chickpea bowl because, as you know, I have a buffalo flavor addiction.  I added some sour cream to cut the heat and because I am always looking for ways to use up my leftover sour cream from Hogs for the Cause.  I cut the polenta a little too thin and they kind of fell apart when I heated them but still came out delicious.  I roasted the tomatoes too as roasted tomatoes are my jam.

Make this!  It is easy, can be vegan if you leave out the cheese, healthy and filling.  And it will look pretty if you take a pic of it.  You can make the original recipe or sub it out for buffalo like me.  Or try another sauce, make it yours!  Full recipe to follow the montage. Also linking this up for Meal Plan Monday!

Doesn't that just look so yummy?!


The cast.  Not pictured: Sour Cream.  That was a last second idea.
These were cut way too thin.  But I wanted to eat less of it.  #itsalifestylenotadiet
I was unlike me and did not make my own hummus.  I also have never made hummus at home that tastes better than Sabra.  So I just buy it.  
Hello asparagus.  I can eat you without smelling funny.  
Mix these guys up.  How yummy!
Roast these together.  The tomatoes add that snap crackle pop sound.
See how my polenta fell apart?
Is it just me or is that an unusually small avocado pit?
Roasted and lovely.
I just wanted to show you that there was arugula in there, so much good stuff in there it was hidden!
Here it is if you want to keep it vegan.
But everything's better with cheese!
Not as pretty when you are eating it!
Buffalo chickpea bowls with asparagus and ranch hummus (Inspired by Halfbaked Harvest)

Ranch hummus (I just added a 1/4 packet of ranch dressing mix to 1/2 cup of hummus) (see original recipe to make your own)
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
1/2 cup buffalo sauce
1 tbsp. sour cream
1 tube polenta, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 can of rinsed + drained chickpeas
2 cups fresh arugula
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 avocado, sliced
2-4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
sprinkle of parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place the asparagus and tomatoes in a roasting pan or on a baking baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until tender and crisp. Remove and chop into thirds.  While vegetables are roasting, place the chickpeas, buffalo sauce and sour cream in a small pot and heat on low heat, stirring to combine. Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the polenta slices. Let them sit undisturbed for 5 minutes. Flip and sear another 5, or until lightly crisped and golden on both sides. Remove and keep warm. To assemble place some arugula in the bottom of your bowls. Add the crispy polenta rounds. asparagus, tomatoes, chickpeas and avocado slices. Add a dollop of the Ranch Hummus and sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments