Eat Local Challenge Meal! (Potatoes, green beans and sausage skillet)

As I have told you,  I am participating in the Eat Local Challenge during the month of June.  It is easy to eat local when you have a great place like Hollygrove Market and Farm.  They have a weekly box that is chock full of goodies for $25.  Last week I got a box and it fed me breakfast, lunch and dinner for the week with only a few additions. And I made a signature cocktail with it too! (that will come later!)

In this box, I immediately thought the potatoes and wax beans should go together.  I usually make smothered green beans with bacon or ham and potatoes in the crock pot, but I decided to go a little different this time.  I discovered the lower fat, calorie and sodium sausage from Richards when I was cooking for two.  It looks and tastes the part and can dupe a man that loves sausage.  If you aren't in the area it is hard to find it online (hence the Walmart link, shudder) so just use turkey or chicken sausage instead or regular old sausage.

This was really good.  I wanted the potatoes crunchier and the green beans softer.  I think I cut the potatoes too big.  I think next time I will cut them smaller and not boil, but boil the green beans for a minute or two.  It was still a big bowl of delicious, I am just my own harshest critic.  Try this for yourself, sub stuff, add stuff, be happy!  Full recipe to follow the montage

Simple, and for the most part local cast.
I cut my potatoes too big, you should cut yours smaller if you want crunchy
Hello beautiful beans.  These are wax so maybe that was why they were too crunchy.
Snap off your stems.  They don't call 'em snap bans for nothing! 
Cut your sausage.  See, doesn't it look like "real" sausage?
I cut the half an onion in half and then sliced and then cut that in half.  I just wanted to show you.
Throw that sausage and onions in a big pan.  Since your sausage is low fat, you will have to add some fat.  I know seems counterproductive but it was avocado oil!  It's like a superfood, right!?
Add your garlic, then your soft potatoes.  Get them soft and browned.  Sounds weird but tastes good!  I promise.
Add the green beans.  I added some red wine vinegar and some of the potato water to deglaze the pan too.  I wanted the crust on the bottom to give me more flavor. 
Season with salt and pepper and serve it up!
I was kicking myself for having no cheddar in the house.  That would have been amazing!
Green beans potato and sausage skillet (adapted from Budget Bytes)
Ingredients:
2 large red potatoes
3/4 lbs. (about 2 cups) fresh green beans
1 link low fat sausage cut into circles
2 Tbsp oil 
1/2 an onion sliced and then cut in half
2-4 cloves garlic minced
salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste 
red wine vinegar to deglaze pan (optional)

Slice the potatoes into quarters lengthwise, then cut across into ¼ inch slices. Place the sliced potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, then let simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, but not falling apart (about 5 minutes).  Drain the potatoes in a colander. Meanwhile, rinse the beans and then snap the stems off and break them into 1-2 inch sections. Cut the sausage into rounds.  Mince the garlic.  Add  the sausage and onions to a large skillet along with the oil. Sauté over medium heat for about five minutes, then add the garlic for about a minute, then add the drained potatoes. Continue to sauté the potatoes, stirring only once every 3-5 minutes, until some are starting to change colors (about 10 minutes). Add the green beans to the skillet and continue to sauté until they are slightly softened and have some browned spots about 5 minutes. Season the skillet with salt and some freshly cracked pepper, then serve.

Note: I had this leftover for lunch a few days later and added a little cheese.  Man it was good, and dare I say better!  A winner for leftovers lunch!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments