A smashed up lovely for the ages (Garlic Tostones)


Remember when I was dreaming of my trip to Puerto Rico? I was really reminiscing, and wanted to have some food to keep the memories alive. I saw this recipe for garlic tostones and thought it would be perfect. Adding some black beans and chicken and avocado would make it a great Puerto Rican meal. I was not wrong, this was so delicious!

Tostones are just smashed and fried plantains.  If you have not had a plantain or tostones please put your phone or ipad down and run, do not walk, to get some.  They are sooooooooo good!The sweet and salty combination is so good and you will feel like you are eating dessert.  I love fruits and veggies like that!  

This was not as complicated as it sounds to make.  I made this while watching my nieces.  They played while I prepped and cooked. I am a great multitasker! I could not get them to eat the plantains but they loved the chicken and beans.  I made them some rice to go with the beans and  now, along with mug brownies, they always want rice and beans from their Aunt Missy.  Enjoy a nice My Shitty Kitchen on the road post at my sister's beautiful home!  Full recipe after the montage.

Simple simple cast.  I will tell you about the chicken later...
Here is whole garlic.
And now you have chopped garlic!
I had a hard time getting it out of the peel in one piece clearly!
Cut it into rounds.  Doesn't that look just like a banana?
Mix the water and the garlic.
Chop up an onion for the beans
And get it real nice and browned.
Mix the black beans, onion and some chicken broth.  Resist the urge to add spice.

Fry the plantains on one side.
The attempt to flip them over evenly and without splashing yourself.  #guilty
Take them out and let them cool to the touch.  I mean it. Then whack 'em good with a spoon like you are hitting someone mean.  
Give them a good dip in the garlic water.  Drain them on a paper towel.  Resist urge to fry up the garlic.  Puerto Rican food isn't Cajun food!
Put em back to fry a few minutes to get them nice and brown.
And there you have it!  So delicious!  I can't believe I missed that errant bean.

Garlic Tostones (Inspired by Pinch of Yum)
Ingredients 
2 plantains (I only used one and kept everything the same.  One can feed two people with sides)
1-2 cups oil for frying
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup water
sea salt

Peel the plantains and cut them into 1-inch thick disks. Place the garlic in a bowl with the water and set aside.  Heat enough oil in a large skillet so that the disks will be halfway submerged in the oil. When the oil is shiny and a drop of water sizzles across the top, add the plantains. Fry for 3-5 minutes on each side until the plantains are slightly softened and browned. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.  Place the plantains on a cutting board, smash with the back of a wooden spoon to make them half as thick, and let them soak in the garlic water for about a minute. Remove, dab them dry and wipe off garlic pieces so they don't burn, and return to the frying pan. Fry for another 2-3 minutes on each side or until they take on a deep golden color and a crispy texture. Drain again on paper towels, sprinkle with ground sea salt, and serve with  beans.

Black beans 

1 can black beans
half an onion, chopped
1 cup chicken broth

Saute the onions in a teaspoon of oil.  Stir and cook until translucent.  Meanwhile drain the can of beans.  When the onions are done, add the beans and broth.  Bring to a boil then simmer on low for 10 minutes.

For the Chicken: I combined equal amounts of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and poultry seasoning and rubbed the chicken thighs.  I heated it in a hot oiled skillet and cooked on each side for 6 minutes. Your cooking time may vary, make sure it is cooked through!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments