Eat Local Challenge Meal! (Summer farmer's market sauteed veggies)

I just love summer.  The outdoor activities, the beach, the fashion, looking a little less white, and, of course, all the yummy produce.  It is my favorite time of year to get a box from Hollygrove Market. It's always filled with summer favorites that I can incorporate into my low carb healthy lifestyle.  

I got a box to kick off the second week of the eat local challenge and it was filled with delicious goodies.  I decided to make a veggie saute that I have made before in some form.  It goes so well with any protein and you can mix up your choices of veggies.  I like spice, but if you are not a big fan, leave out the jalapeno.  

I served this with some flap meat my sister and I split at Costco.  Flap meat is basically flank steak but it is a bit more tender.  This is my favorite meat for when I make fajitas.  It is sometimes hard to find, but when you do, grab it!  I marinated it in my favorite bottled marinade, the Trader Joe's Island Soyaki.  It has such a good sweet and savory mix and always does the trick in a pinch.

What is your favorite summer produce?  What is your go to side?  Have you tried the Island Soyaki?  Let me know!  Before you do, check out the full recipe, which appears after the montage.

Local homegrown produce, except for the onion and garlic.  I would have purchased local, but they were out.  Hopefully that means a lot of participants in the challenge!
I do miss my yellow cutting board for the size of it but my wood one is so much prettier.
This was messier than this looks.
Mix them all up and season with salt and pepper.
Oh why the heck not use bacon grease?
Throw 'em in
And cook until the onions look tolerable!
One of my favorite summer meals!  Little to no carb and loving it!
Summer Vegetable Saute: (serves 4)

One onion, chopped
One large bell pepper, chopped
One large or two small tomatoes, chopped
one jalapeno, de-seeded and chopped
Two ears of corn, kernels cut off

Combine all the veggies in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.  Toss to mix and combine.  Heat a tablespoon of fat in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.  When shimmering, add veggies.  Saute, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.  Enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy


No comments