This did lead to a steak though (Moroccan chicken burgers with carrot mint slaw)

I was craving a burger.  It happens sometimes.  When I want a burger, I want a big bad cheeseburger with lots of cheddar, crusty bread and lots of ketchup.  I just finally got rid of my Mardi Gras weight and it was not time yet to allow myself such a treat. I am not super strict on my diet all the time, but I had to be at this stage in the game.  I thought I could improvise.  Make a burger, but not a riff on that kind of burger so I would not feel deprived.  Insert my search for harissa.

I love Sabra Supremely Spicy Hummus.  I get sad when I go to buy hummus and have to get a different kind.  I saw that it has harissa on top (amongst other things) and have always wanted to try it on other things.  I found some on Amazon and decided to order it and put it to good use.

I saw a recipe similar to this on Fine Cooking and it inspired me.  A chicken burger, with carrot slaw, but on a lettuce wrap?  It feels so healthy I could scream!  This is so good, kind of exotic and super easy, hardest part was grating the onions without injuring myself!  Impress your friends and family with this simple but fancy dish!  And trust it is not that spicy so that won't be the reason your picky kid won't eat it!

If you aren't little to no carb you could have this in a pita with some hummus or yogurt flavored with a dash of harissa.  I wish I would have added that actually!
The feta is here but then I changed my mind and went provolone.
There may be a little DNA in there.  Sorry if that grosses you out.
Add it all to a bowl.  Look at that rich color on the harissa!
I started to mix and decided it needed some extra fat and binding.  I added egg and flour.
Make yourself some burgers.  I love the color of the harissa in there!
I didn't use all the grated onions and I hate letting them go to waste so I frizzled them in oil for a fun topping.  Yes, frizzle is not a real term, but it feels like onomatopoeia.
Cook on one side for about 7 minutes on a grill pan if you have one. 
See it looks like I grilled!
Mix up your slaw.  This was really refreshing.
Serve them up to your liking and enjoy!

Moroccan Chicken Burgers with Carrot Mint slaw (inspired by fine cooking)
1 lb. ground chicken
1⁄2 medium yellow onion, grated on the large holes of a box grater
1 egg
2 tbsp. flour
3 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
2 Tbs. harissa
11⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
11⁄2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger Kosher salt
3 medium carrots, grated on the large holes of a box grater
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp. cumin
4  romaine leaves
crumbled feta or provolone for topping 

Heat grill to specifications or heat some oil on an indoor grill pan over medium heat. With your hands, gently mix the chicken, onion, 1 Tbs. of the mint, the harissa, ground cumin, ginger, and 3⁄4 tsp. salt in a large bowl. With wet hands, form into four 1⁄2-inch-thick patties. Toss the remaining 2 Tbs. mint with the carrots, lemon juice, cumin, and salt and pepper. Grill the burgers, flipping once, until cooked through (165°F), 10-15 minutes total. Serve the burgers in the lettuce wraps along with the cheese and slaw.

Again this would be really great with some Greek yogurt with a little harissa swirled through, with feta and on a pita too!

Happy cooking!

Missy

No comments