Are you getting enough fiber? (Feel good, fiber filled roasted brussels artichokes and parsnips)

I was reading an article about how today's American diet does not give us all the nutrients that we need to keep a balanced healthy lifestyle.  It showed ways you could get those healthy nutrients through simple lunches.  I, of course, forgot to pin the article.  I should go back and find it, but researching obscure things is what I do at my real job, here it is all about the fun.

It reported that the easy way to get the right amount of fiber and something else that I can't remember was to roast three veggies together.  Those veggies were parsnips, brussels sprouts and artichoke hearts.  I am not sure if I need fiber, but I assume so since I eat no bread or brown rice these days. And why not, after my bender in Wisconsin, I needed some healthy in my life!

I decided to gussy them up a bit with a homemade red wine and mustard vinaigrette.  It really made them so delightful.  My receptionist was in the breakroom when I heated it up and she insisted on having a bite since it smelled so good and she didn't know what a parsnip was.  She was impressed and wanted the recipe.  Well lucky for all of us, here it is! 

Roasted, delicious and full of fiber and nutrients!
Simple and delightful, I needed this after a week of midwestern food!
I had to add some garlic and shallot.  The shallot was to cut down on the garlic.  It's a sickness.
One of my bigger kitchen injuries was with a peeler.  Luckily this time I escaped unscathed.
Cut them into a manageable size to kind of mimic the others.
Be sure not to crowd.  The more pans the merrier!
I seasoned the chicken with the vinaigrette so all the flavors would match.  
Chicken breasts can be yummy when you do them right.  Cast iron and a sear never hurt!
After a spin in the oven, they look roasted and delicious.
Feel Good Fiber Rich Roasted Veggies

2 cans whole artichoke hearts
one small bag pasrsnips
1 lb. Brussels Sprouts
2 tbsp. olive or grapeseed oil
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small shallot, minced
salt and pepper
2 chicken breasts, pounded thin

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut parsnips in a manageable size.  Cut Brussels sprouts in half.  Drain artichoke hearts.  Mix together oil through salt and pepper (a pinch of each) and whisk together to make a dressing.  Place the veggies on a roasting pan (be sure to grease and/or foil) and cover with 2/3 of the dressing and toss to coat. Place in preheated oven and roast for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Place the rest of the dressing on your chicken and toss to coat.  Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add chicken when it is heated.  Cook for 10 minutes on each side or until cooked through.  Serve the chicken with the veggies.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments