It's hard to cheat on a green smoothie (Greek Yogurt fruit and granola bark)

I have the same thing for breakfast every day, a green smoothie. It has evolved quite a bit over the years.  When I lived in Austin and started this breakfast plan to aid in quitting the 25 pounds I gained when I quit smoking (they are all gone now!) I started with kale and blueberries.  Then I was making it the night before when I had pure barre problems with some weird milk.  Now I do spinach, Costco frozen antioxidant blend berries, coconut/almond milk blend, vegan protein powder and turmeric.  It is surprisingly kind of delightful.

I decided to cheat on my smoothie and went on a Pinterest browse for a healthy alternative.  I also was doing the eat local challenge at the time (this post is from June, as you can tell from the old house in the background, I never drafted it!) and had some cane syrup burning a hole in my pocket that came with my packet.  I stumbled across this recipe for Greek yogurt bark and was sold! I could sub the cane syrup for maple, and in season peaches for strawberries.  Score!

Then I forgot I was making this and make a zombie like trek to Costco for my smoothie ingredients. But never fear, Tuesday team meeting had not had a snack in awhile; why not try this out on them! Well guess what, once it unfroze a bit, they all loved it!  It did melt kind of fast, but it was just as yummy, albeit messy, when it melted.  Try this, use different fruit and yogurt combinations and make it your own!

It was cheaper to get granola in bulk and the smaller yogurts. 
I just love peaches.  They smell and taste like summer.
Add the syrup to the yogurt and mix well.
Spread it over a parchment lined baking pan as smooth as you can.
Spread your toppings all over and cover with foil.  Carefully place it in the freezer.
Then break it into pieces and enjoy!

Greek Yogurt fruit and granola bark (inspired by Go Eat and Repeat)
1 1/2 cups fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
2 tbs cane or maple syrup
1/2 cup granola
1/2 cup blueberries
2 peaches sliced

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Mix Greek yogurt and syrup in a bowl until combined. Pour onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a thin layer. Top with granola, blueberries, and peaches.  Cover the baking sheet with a piece of aluminum foil. Place in the freezer for two hours, or overnight, until the bark is fully frozen. Slice into desired squares. Serve immediately and keep stored in the freezer in an airtight container or bag. Be careful not to leave it out too long or the yogurt will become too soft again and not hold its shape.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments