Comfort food for the soul overnight! (Slow cooker Vegetable beef soup in a Crock Pot)

I love vegetable beef soup.  My grandmother always made it, and my sister's best friend's mom (say that three times fast) made it all the time as well.  Many will tell you their recipe and no two are alike. I made my own one up from a combination of several recipes and my own preferences.  It is chock full of veggies, pretty easy to make and so comforting.  

I was craving the soup the weekend of Christmas, but it tends to take all day and my schedule did not permit for it.  But I had an idea...what if I let it cook overnight in the slow cooker and then I can just scoop some out for lunch!  It was a great idea.  I will be doing this more often for lunch after a busy weekend!  I think this would be just fine if you skipped the step of pre cooking the meat and mirepoix, try it that way if you are in a pinch.  I just like the depth of flavor that comes with pre cooking them.

By the way, I always call it a slow cooker because I was an advertising major and we were taught to call things by their names and not their brand names.  Just doing my part to help out the marketers! Do you love this kind of soup as much as I do?  Have you made it in the slow cooker?  Let me know! Full recipe to follow the montage.  Linking up with Meal Plan Monday!

What a great sight and smell to wake up to!
The cast.  You can also go all fresh veggie but this is way easier!
My sweet gentleman caller got me this gorgeous knife for Christmas.  It is so fancy and I, of course, already injured myself with it.  
Season up your meat with salt and pepper.
Brown it up in a dutch oven.  Wondering what that green thing is?
It's like a cone for your dog, except it keeps your stove clean!  Thanks Santa!
Chop up the mirepoix.  Such an easy way to add flavor!
Smash the garlic.  I did not use my fancy knife for this.  I used the can goods!
Nothing easier than opening a couple of cans eh?
Add your beef and all your veggies to the slow cooker.
Add your broth and some thyme.
This had to have cabbage in it.  It was on sale for 25 cents a pound, I could not resist!
Mix it all in and shove it all down.  Turn it on low for a long time and wait.
Scoop some out and you are ready for lunch, dinner or the freezer!
Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup

Ingredients
1 pound cubed beef stew meat
one onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
one small potato, cubed
small can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
small can peas, drained
1 small bag of baby lima beans
1 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
1 large carton beef broth
2 cups green cabbage, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Season meat with salt an pepper.  Heat a dutch oven over medium heat and add about a tablespoon of oil.  Brown the meat on all sides, about 8 minutes. Add meat to slow cooker. Pour out any liquid that has accumulated.  Add a bit more oil and add the carrots, onion and celery.  Stir and cook until onions are translucent.  Add potatoes and garlic and saute for five more minutes, and add all to the slow cooker.  Place corn, green beans, peas, tomatoes, broth, thyme and salt and pepper to taste into the slow cooker; stir to combine. Add chopped cabbage on top and try to submerge.   Cook on LOW for at least 6 hours (I did it for 10). Add water if necessary.  Enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments