Necessity is the mother of stepping out of your comfort zone(green beans with citrus butter sauce)

Hey guys! I'm back. Well kind of. Still no computer or camera but here's a post I had drafted before the Napa trip. This is a great healthy side for Christmas and is so different! Enjoy! 

I love getting a box from Hollygrove Market as I am sure you have noticed.  It is full of local produce, a great deal, and makes me be more creative and spontaneous in my meal planning.  This is kind of a necessity when you have a food blog!

There were green beans in the box a few weeks ago.  My favorite way to prepare fresh green beans is in the crock pot with bacon, onions and broth.  Every now and then I'll add a potato too, but only on special occasions when I am indulging in luxurious carbs.  I know that has been done before in the blogosphere, although, funnily enough, not here.  I had an orange in the box as well and thought maybe that would be a good combo.  Enter this lovely recipe that sounded like music to my ears for Green Beans with Citrus Butter Sauce.

It was the perfect recipe for what I had on hand, which was every ingredient.  And they were delicious.  And even more delicious when I roasted them in the oven the next day to have them leftover!  The sauce is rich and bright at the same time due to the broth (especially since I used homemade!) butter and citrus and the green beans were nice and crunchy which is a change from my usual recipe.  Try this, it is really different and sure to please!  Full recipe after the montage.

Looking good and saucy!

Leftover already chopped onions and broth made it easy! There were no onions in the original.  I was glad I added them!
This is a surprisingly soothing task for me.  I love snapping snap beans.
Garlic and zest!  So fresh!
Saute up the onion and get the offensive raw off it.  You may like it but I just don't.
Steamy green beans ready for some action!
Add the zest and the garlic for a little minute
Then add butter to make it smooth.
Add broth and your orange's juice and simmer to reduce, thicken and make lovelier.  
Add your green beans to the party and toss.  I should have used a bigger pan!
Serve it with a protein and optional carb of your choice and smile!

GREEN BEANS WITH CITRUS BUTTER SAUCE (Adapted from Epicurious via Bon Appetit)

1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 a small onion)
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
Juice of 1/2 orange
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter

Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain well. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add orange peel and garlic and stir 1 minute. Add butter to melt and combine.  Add broth and juice and simmer for 7-10 minutes until sauce is a bit thicker and reduced.  Add green beans to pan and toss until beans are heated through and sauce coats beans, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Happy cooking!

Missy





No comments