How to get Google to find you (bacon onion meat bombs)

Yes, that's right...MEAT BOMBS ðŸ’£!  I saw this recipe on Pinterest and I could not contain myself.  I had to make it. Anything with the name bomb in it, right?  Although I better watch how many times I write the word bombs on the internets.  I promise, I am talking about meat, bacon and deliciousness!  

The barbecue sauce and bacon serve to keep the meet moist and juicy.  the onion soaks up all of the flavor and is a delicious treat.  That is right folks, you are meant to eat the onion!  I used my favorite non traditional Cajun style barbecue sauce, Pig Stand, and it imparted a distinct tomato and onion flavor that really complimented the onion and bacon.  I think any Memphis style or vinegar based sauce would mimic this well, but any barbecue sauce will do.  

I also did not have an egg.  Instead I added a teaspoon of honey mustard to the meat mixture to help bind it.  This gave it some great flavor as well and I highly recommend it.  But the egg is probably a better binder.  I will give both options in the full recipe.  And...as a bonus, I had some leftover roasted garlic that I stuffed each meatball with and it was delicious.  They sell marinated garlic at most grocery stores that have a salad or antipasti bar and I know they always have it at Whole Foods.  A good other treat would be a small cube of cheese. Mmm, why did I not think of that?  Make these, you, and whoever eats with you will love you more for it!  Full recipe to follow the montage.  Linking up for Meal Plan Monday!

The bomb was so decadent I just served it with a simple veggie.
Here is your cast minus the mustard as that was an afterthought.  The roasted garlic was homemade and int he small plastic container.  Aka Tupperware to all you non ad majors.
Add all your ingredients for the meatballs to a bowl.
And then use your hands, the best tools for it to make it into a meat mixture.
Cut your onion in half, peel back the skin and reserve the outermost layers.
Nestle your meatball between two onion halves.  He who is not nicknamed asked if I was making Pokemon balls.  He has kids, I don't, so I had to google #themoreyouknow
Wrap your bombs in bacon.  The original recipe called for 3 slices.  I found that to be excessive, I used one.  They turned out just fine.
Stick a toothpick through them in a fashion to keep the bacon wrapped and the onion halves together.  Brush some sauce on top.
I cooked them on a cooling rack so as to not have them bathe in bacon drippings.  That sounds really good actually now that I think of it...
After 30 minutes in the oven, brush them with sauce again and let them cook five more minutes.
And et voila!  What a simple delicious plate!
And look at that yummy garlic surprise!
Meat Bombs ðŸ’£ (Adapted from Hugs and Cookies XOXO)
1 pound meatloaf mix (beef, pork, veal or use all beef if you prefer.)
1 egg (or 1 tbs honey mustard)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
3 yellow onions
salt to taste
1 package bacon
½-1 c. Favorite BBQ sauce
Scallions or chives for garnish

Mix meat, egg or mustard, crumbs, cheese and salt. Cut top and bottom off onion, cut in half and peel off skin. Then separate the onion into layers. Use the larger outside layers and save the rest of the onion to make something else like a side dish. Take a handful of your meat mix and put it inside one onion layer. (optional here, place roasted garlic or small block of cheese in middle of meat) Gently press another onion layer on top of the mixture. You are making an onion seal around your large meatball. Continue with the rest of meat. I made 3 but amounts can vary based on onion sizes and how much meat you use, I am sure I had less than a pound. Wrap each "bomb" with a slice of bacon (or more if you are feeling frisky) and secure with toothpicks. Brush with barbecue sauce. Bake in a dish with sides or optionally on top of a rack (to catch grease) at 425 for approx 30 minutes or until internal temp 165. Add more BBQ sauce all over and bake an additional 5 minutes. Take out your toothpick and enjoy! Onion and all.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments