Let us turnip the beat (Turnips with Bacon and Mustard Greens)

I am so sad that this is the post I will ever draft with some Hollygrove market veggies in it.  I am excited to  be starting a new chapter with Covey Rise Farms and make yummy recipes with their weekly haul though!  I had some mustard greens and turnips in the last box I got and I was scouring the internet for something different.  I pinned a few recipes but none of them really jumped out at me.  I decided to create my own and see how I did.  

Well, I did good!  The roasted red peppers were a bit of an oddball ingredient when I put this together, but I really enjoyed them in there.  The textures of the soft turnips, hearty greens, crisp bacon and veggies really work well together.  And the depth of flavor cannot be beat.  

While this is not a meatless Monday dish; just a trace amount of bacon will do you no wrong, right?  Make this and change up your routine.  Full recipe to follow the montage.


A yummy bowl of mostly veggies.


The cast on a sunny day
The beige contingent gets chopped together.
And the "slimier" folks go on their own
Does anyone else wish their monitor was scratch and sniff? 


Add in the hearty greens
And in the end, it is a party in the pot, and your mouth!
Turnips with Bacon and Mustard Greens

2-3 pieces of bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 -2 large turnips, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 bunch greens
1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper, chopped
1 cup broth

Heat bacon in a dutch oven and begin to brown.  Once some liquid (fat) is released, add onions and cook until translucent.  Meanwhile, heat water to boil, add turnips and boil until tender, about 7 minutes and drain.  Add garlic to onions and bacon and cook one more minute.  Add red wine vinegar  and scrape up the yummy bits at the bottom.  Add greens and stir to wilt them.  Add red pepper and broth and allow to cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.  Add turnips back in and stir to combine.  Cook an additional few minutes until some broth has absorbed or evaporated.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments