(Isn't that a brand of baseball glove?) Mizuna Quinoa Salad with Lemon Green Onion Vinaigrette)

Thanks for all the birthday love!  My staycation was great!  I did not take enough photos to justify a post.  Just played all weekend with my favorite people!  Hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day holiday!

I got something called mizuna in my Covey Rise Farms share a few weeks ago.  When I got the email I was excited to google what the heck that was, it sounded like the name on my softball glove many moons ago.  Turns out, it is a Japanese green and it is similar to mustard greens or baby kale.  I love mustard greens, except when they come on too strong.  I also had some kholrabi leftover from the week before because it was Jazz Fest and that was not on the drunk food menu.  The announcement of what is in the share contains recipes each week, and there was one with mizuna and kholrabi attached, score!

You can sub any green for the mizuna and radishes, turnips, parsnips or potato for the kholrabi.  But man if you can get these CSA finds, do it, so good!  The lemon really brightened up the earthy kale and veggie combo and the sweetness of the cranberries perfectly balanced the salty feta and pungent green onions.  Look how descriptive I am, I really liked this dish!  It made enough for Gentleman Caller and I as a side for chicken and then he had it for lunch the next two days as well and still was raving.  Make this, you will love it, I promise! I love trying new veggies!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

The would be great for a party too!
The cast.  I don't know why that shallot is in there.  It was not in the finished product.
Mason Jars make dressing making so easy. 
This is what kholrabi looks like when you take off its fun jacket and dice it.
I decided to use the hot quinoa to "cook" the mizuna

Then I decide the kholrabi could use some heat too.
After it all cools a bit add your cheese and other tasty friends.
And then mix it all up and enjoy!

Mizuna Quinoa Salad with Lemon Green Onion Vinaigrette (Recipe courtesy of Covey Rise Farms)

2 cups dry quinoa
1 bunch mizuna (or baby kale or spinach), stems removed, chopped into bite size pieces
green tops of 2 green onions, sliced
1 cup diced kohlrabi (or alternatives mentioned up top)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pecans
salt + pepper to taste

Lemon Green Onion Dressing

1/2 cup olive oil
juice from half a lemon
1 tsp dijon mustard
green + white parts of 2 green onions, minced
salt + pepper to taste

Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. Toss the mizuna, radish or kohlrabi , quinoa, and dressing together. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Toast the pecans. Place the pecans in a small skillet over medium heat. Toast, stirring frequently. Remove from the pan right away so they don’t burn. Fold the green onions, pecans, cheese, and cranberries into the salad. Serve at once or chilled.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments