You really don't need a recipe (Smothered Pork Chops)

I have a subscription to the New York Times.  It came with  the cooking subscription for the first year, but now that is over.  It pains me when I click on a recipe now and it says subscribe for full access.  I try to keep my budget healthy and have cut cable, Sirius XM and gel manicures out of my life, so I can certainly live without a subscription!  Luckily there is Sam Sifton to the rescue!

He has a new section called "You Don't need a Recipe" and he just riffs on what he made.  This is how I cook well.  Blogging has made me slow down and remember what I put in things and word it so others can try, but sometimes I just miss "a little of this, a little of that." I also was missing comfort food.  In Law School, we used to walk to a place called Silver Moon (sadly it has closed).  It was $5 for a soul food plate lunch and sweet tea.  I always got smothered pork chops and haven't had any since, it was time!

And Sam Sifton had a recipe for it in the New York Times Cooking email.  Just a riff, no recipe.  I decided to riff on his and create a recipe.  And wow, am I glad I did.  Gentleman Caller and I devoured this on a Sunday and I cannot wait to make it again.  Stick to your ribs comfort food!  Full recipe to follow the montage

 Smothered Pork Chops
I remember it being "browner" but I bet her pot got way more use than mine!
 Smothered Pork Chops
The cast.  Just looks comforting!

 Smothered Pork Chops
Seasoned flour makes a gravy sing!

 Smothered Pork Chops
Dredge those chops.
 Smothered Pork Chops
Get those onions cooking!
 Smothered Pork Chops
And then combine it all in the oven to make a comforting meal.
 Smothered Pork Chops
So good with collard greens!

Smothered Pork Chops (Created from a prompt by Sam Sifton)

1 cup flour
2 tbsp of seasoning of your choice (Tony Chacherie's, seasoning salt, old bay, the remnants in your spice cabinet, whatever.)
2 tbsp. olive oil
4-6 thin pork chops, bone in
2 tbsp. butter
2 large onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic minced
4 cups chicken stock
bay leaf
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Mix the flour with your seasoning to combine. Remove chops and reserve flour mixture. Dredge pork chops through this mixture and sear them in the dutch oven, turning halfway and remove them when crisp at the edges and brown. Keep warm on a plate in the microwave. Meanwhile, heat your oven to 350.

Add butter to dutch oven and sauté the sliced onions. When they wilt and go soft, add a two tablespoons of the leftover dredging flour and cook that, stirring often, for five minutes or so. Add chicken stock and a bay leaf and stir, then add the pork chops back in. Cover the pot and put it in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour until liquid has reduced. Serve with rice and/or sautéed greens.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments