A weeknight dinner staple (Mexican Cauliflower Chicken Skillet)

I have been meaning to share this post with you for awhile!  This is so easy, one pan, low carb and just straight up easy!  I really came up with this with what I had on hand.  I used ground chicken, but feel free to use turkey or beef or vegan meat substitute.  I used a container of fresh refrigerated salsa, but feel free to use jarred.  This would also be good Italian style with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.  

This is the perfect weeknight meal and you will not be sorry to try it.  I am sad my skillet didn't fit in my broiler to brown up the cheese a bit more, but it was delightful nonetheless.  Make this, you and yours will not be disappointed!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Mexican Cauliflower Chicken Skillet
You don't have to add avocado...but you should.
Mexican Cauliflower Chicken Skillet
The cast.  I decided the salsa had enough flavor and left out the onion and garlic.  I didn't miss them!
Mexican Cauliflower Chicken Skillet
Brown up your rice and ground protein of choice.
Mexican Cauliflower Chicken Skillet
Add your salsa and let it mix and mingle.
Mexican Cauliflower Chicken Skillet
Add the cheese.  That is never a bad idea...unless you are lactose intolerant.
Mexican Cauliflower Chicken Skillet
That'a as "brown" as my cheese would get without a broiler.
Mexican Cauliflower Chicken Skillet
Top with avocado, green onion, and cilantro if you dare. I dare say it is delightful even without it.
Cauliflower Chicken Skillet

1 tbsp. oil of your choice
1 bag cauliflower rice
1 lb. ground protein of choice
1 container fresh or jarred salsa
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (or more if you like)
chopped avocado, green onion and/or cilantro for topping

Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet on Medium.  When hot, brown your rice for 5-7 minutes. Add protein and cook until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.  Add in salsa and combine and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn on your broiler.  Top meat and cauliflower mixture with cheese.  Place under broiler for a few minutes to melt cheese and brown it.  Top with toppings of your choice.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments